I'm looking at a CAT 226 or 228 as a general utility machine and a backup loader for when our LHD is down or busy. What issues are these and the 3034C (one guy I work with calls them Perkapillars) known for, and are they generally dependable? My CAT skid-steer experience with other companies is limited to newer D-series units which did just fine, other than quick-coupler failures and the occasional fuel filter. The hi-flow on the 228 is a bonus as I expect to occasionally rent a rock hammer for breaking oversize and removing small hard knobs.
I think generally speaking they were the least reliable engine Cat ever put in anything. Many of them locked up for oil pump issues resulting in needing new engines. If they are still running now, I would assume that the engine had already been replaced, or they were not part of the poor run of engines that, if memory serves me were built by Perkins in China. If you do a search here, you will come across threads relating to the issue. I believe the owner of this site was one of the victims, a friend of mine was also a victim. Fortunately for him, Cat actually stood behind that machine, most were not that lucky. You should not need high flow to run a breaker, at least any current breaker that I am aware of. Most only need regular aux. flow. My personal opinion would be to find something else.
If you like I can show you a 3034 that didn't toss 1 rod but tossed 2 out the side. Much like previous stated find something else. A b or c model cat would be better. I've rebuilt quite a few of the engines in the the b model (3024/n844t) in cat and new holland skid loaders. The thing that killed all of those was oil or lack there of in the sump. The 3034 always just seemed to fail at random. Seems quite alot of them didn't make the first oil change. I would not hesitate to own skid with a 3024.
Two replies that firm is a sign to look elsewhere! I won't consider a Bobcat since I hate foot controls, Case is a contender and we have a good relationship with our local Case dealer. I haven't heard much bad about the 1845/1840/1835, how about the XT series?
I have had 2 95XT's , 85XT and a 70XT. One of my favorites was the 440 which is the next series up from the XT. The only real issue is some of the sensors fail (seat sensor, lap bar and cab sensor), but they are easy to replace. Some 85XT's had axle issues. They updated them to 95XT axles, but there could be some around that still run the smaller axles. I liked both the XT and 400 series better than the 1800 series. I liked the controls better, quieter and much more capable.
The Mitsubishi powered Cats are pretty good, at least the several I have owned have been good.
Longer wheel base, increased weight…my pick would be the large frame machines (like the 95XT). We owned a couple of smaller skids in the past; not enough weight or power….some are really tippy on steep/rough ground.
Agree; the Mitsubishi engines we had in a Cat 304 & Cat 303.5 were nice smooth engines. Never had any issues during our ownership. The only thing was, both required extended crank times to fire up; never did sort that out….
We have had 4 or 5 machines with the mitsubishi engines all good never a problem there then the d5g and d5c I bought with blown engine both had rods our the side and the rod nuts where laying in the pan. Be it a bad repair or what I don't know both got all new rod bolts and nuts and blue loctite.