Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226 Axle Removal

Crow ยท 2022-01-22 19:57

Pre-2001 Cat 226. I have attached a picture and schematic for reference. The bolt in question is 9-13-14. Does this bolt need to be removed before I can pull the axle from that chain gear? Father just bought it so ignore the "chocolate milk" in the bottom of the chain case. I am replacing all of the fluids and filters. I need to replace this axles bearings and seals first though.

Replies3
  1. #1charles walton2022-01-22 22:00

    Yes

  2. #2Nige2022-01-23 04:10

    The attachment taken from the service manual for an early-model 226 may help clarify the procedure.

  3. #3Crow2022-01-23 19:17

    Thank you, Nige, for the PDF. I know what to look for and what areas to inspect if I ever go buy a used skid steer myself. The chain case on the one side had about 10 gallons of contaminated oil just in that one compartment. After finding that it was decided that I will empty out the other side when I am done with this side. Lifting the cab revealed gallons of oil, hydraulic fluid, water, and mud coating everything inside. This thing is a mess.