Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226 hydraulic issues

Knox Farm · 2023-08-18 13:29

Looking for some troubleshooting help I have a Caterpillar 226. 2001 replaced drive motor left hand side , moved and hydraulic worked before I replaced but I can't get it to move after replacing drivemoter flushing out system arms bucket doesn't work, any ideas on what to do ?

Replies4
  1. #1Chrisso2023-08-20 03:38

    Welcome Knox. A few questions: 1, does the fan hanging off the radiator spin while the engine is running? 2, what led you to replacing the LHS drive motor? 3, are you familiar with checking charge pressure? 4, do you have means of connecting a laptop with Cat ET software? 5, machine serial number is required for more detailed help. If the answer is no to the first question, look no further.

  2. #2Knox Farm2023-08-22 10:44

    Thank you for replying Mr. Chrisso #1 i checked the fan turning but slow #2. I replaced LHS moter because it was making noise , when I inspected moter bearing was bad and race .I replaced and flushed ( removed all fluid changed filters Flushed hydraulic tank new filter) #3 No I did #4 No #5 H 5

  3. #3Knox Farm2023-08-22 10:46

    Sorry it Cut off S/N H5FZ08328

  4. #4Chrisso2023-08-23 08:09

    That doesn't sound good. To the naked eye that fan should be spinning fast. Low idle at 1225 ± 25 rpm. High idle at 2400 ± 50 rpm. Silly question, how's the hydraulic oil level? No fan speed and no hystat drive, that's usually enough to say the sacrificial coupling between the engine & hystat pump has died. But being an older machine it 'could' be sheer coincidence. Does the park brake release ok, ie does the park brake light go out? The final nail in the coffin would be to check charge pressure. Your response to Q3... does that mean you have or haven't checked charge pressure? It needs to be approx 450 psi at low idle. Couplings fail 9 out of 10 times just after an engine or hystat pump replacement, they don't like being disturbed. Failing any other time makes me ask why. Another thing to consider... Failures in these hystat systems such as pump and motors often fill the oil with metal that will eventually kill everything. Highly recommend cuting the filter open and checking for debris, and checking the hydraulic oil pickup screen inside the hydraulic tank. If they're full of metal because of a failed LHS drive motor... your broken coupling is kinda the least of your worries.