Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 226 hydrolic oil?

Clubin ยท 2009-09-07 21:03

I have a 02 CAT 226 sid steer, I have a hydrolic leak somwhere under the cab, the oil is accumulating under the engine. I don't have a owners manual, I need to use it. I can see it in the bottom of the sight glass, so it is maybe a couple litres down. Any one know what they use for Hydrolic oil?

Replies9
  1. #13thirteen2009-09-08 00:12

    We use Cat 10w hydraulic oil in everything from 216's to the bigger stuff (789's, D10's, etc.) I have also used Shell donax TD on some machines (JLG's) but I guess it would depend your budget. Find a quality 10w Hyd. oil and you should be alright. As for your leak... I bet it could be your suction tube from your hyd. tank to your pump. I have seen that more than once.....

  2. #2Steve Frazier2009-09-08 01:04

    The manual calls for motor oil. Use the same grade you would in the engine for your location and temperatures

  3. #3Clubin2009-09-08 07:58

    Thanks guys. I am running 15w40 in the engine, so I think I will look sof a pail of 10w hydrolic oil. Thanks again. I am going to flip the cab up and see if I can find the leak.

  4. #4Squizzy246B2009-09-08 08:53

    Try this thread:

  5. #5Clubin2009-09-08 14:16

    Well, I flipped the cab up this morning, the oil I see is not hydrolic oil, it is engine oil. All the hydrolic lines look gos not naything even leaking a little. Looks like a stone or some gravel piled up under the engine and wore a hole in the oil pan. Looks like the engine has to come out. Any suggestions? Any one want to help. lol

  6. #6powerjoke2009-09-08 14:49

    Funny you bring it up, we lost a motor in a 216 earlier this year due to the same thing. and if your in a horrible hurry for it, i would drain the oil for a day or two and clean the bottom of the pan with both sandpaper and solvent and then JB Weld it for a temp fix......who know's it may last forever? Pj

  7. #7Clubin2009-09-08 16:40

    It realy isn't leaking that bad rite now, I lost 1l in about 20 hours. Winter project for me. It doesn't look like that big of a deal to remove the engine. Sucks to loose an engine to such a stupid thing. THanks for the reply, now at least I know I am not the only one.

  8. #83thirteen2009-09-08 18:40

    Steve, SIS lists everything from 0w30 DEO to MTO for hyd. fluid depending on the temp range the machine works in. I think given his location 10w or 5w30 would do the trick. As far as that oil pan goes, you can do it without removing the engine. You must support or suspend (get creative) the engine from above and remove the mounts. Then using a come along or something pick up the engine so you can remove that pan and replace it. It sounds hairy but it can be doen with relative ease. PM me if you want more detailed instructions.

  9. #9powerjoke2009-09-08 21:28

    Have you ever done it on a small frame CaT? just curious because It didnt look like there was room to me, but i wasnt worried about pulling the pan because the motor was shelled. BTW: as hard to believe CaT wants $10k for a new one, $7800 for a rebuilt, $6500 for one with no warranty out of a used machine with no promise on hours so we welded and turned the crank and slapped some new bearings in it Pj