Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 228, Cat 246, or JD 317

johnstra ยท 2007-09-11 19:11

Hi everyone. I'll be buying a skid steer this fall for snow removal. I'm going to put a snow blower on it to keep my roads clear. I'm trying to decide between a Cat 228 and a Cat 246. The 228 is high flow, which is a plus for blowing snow. But the 228 is a little older. It's a 2000 with 1400 hours on it and the 246 is a 2003 with 1700 hours on it. Are there any known problems with the older Cats - 228 in particular? Any reasons I should avoid it? What about the fact that it's a high flow only machine? Will this make it harder to sell some day? Any problems getting parts for it you think? The other machine in the running is a Deere 317. I listed it last because I'm kind of partial to the Cats. The Deere only has 100 hours on it, but it costs a bit more. I don't know much about skid steers so I'm looking for advise from those of you who do. I'll do a lot of my own maintenence so that's a factor. Thanks, -john

Replies5
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-09-11 19:57

    John, I can't help you with the JD but I started out with a 226, then to a 246B and now have a 248B. I also do 5/8ths of not very much about snow blowing. However, I can't help thinking you would be better off with a high flow machine. The 248B has good hydraulic conversion. Two operators I know on road repair have cold planers on 248B's and they are getting an excellent run. I also find the service access a bit better on the Cats when compared to Bobcat and JD, If you have a competent dealer and the machines aren't beaten to hell then I don't think you will have any dramas. I'd be looking around at what other operators are running in your area for snow blowing and determining wether high flow is essential. The 246 should have the 78 horsepower 3044 engine whereas the 228 will probably have the Perkapillar engine at about 50 horsepower. Whenever I get back in a 226 I appreciate the nimbleness and smaller dimension but I really miss the power. I assume the 228 you mention is not a B series so I think you might be looking for a little more grunt. One thing to remember is the 246 takes 66" wide buckets and attachments and the 228 will take 60" as standard. The owner of this forum can advise more in this department.

  2. #2johnstra2007-09-11 20:36

    Thanks Squizzy. Neither the 228 nor the 246 are B series. The 228 is 54 HP and the 246 is 74 HP. One thing I'd like to confirm. I believe the 228 is high flow only. My understanding is that standard flow equipment cannot be run it and I'm afraid this will make it harder to sell in the future. -john

  3. #3Squizzy246B2007-09-11 21:22

    John, your concerns are unfounded...in some areas...but true in others. The Hi-Flow series run higher pressures which is unsuitable for "some" attachments like pick-up brooms/sweepers and augers. In the real world most of them will handle the higher pressures (Typically 4000 psi) but it may be against the manufacturer's recommendations. In my case, the standard Cat sweeper can go on either Standard flow or Hi-flow, as can the chain trencher. However, some after market manufacturers will change the hydraulic motor(s) on an attachment to handle the Hi-Flow machine. The simplest option is to have Cat or a competent hydraulic shop setup the attachment, just as hydraulic breakers are setup on a excavator the attachment should have line and backpressures properly adjusted so the machine performs at its best. This should really be done on any attachment but we don't always put much of a priority on the time and money it costs. It just a matter of digging up the specs for the machine and the attachment and making sure they are matched properly. Also, Hi-Flow is generally seen as an added value/bonus on the trade-in market. It broadens the appeal of the machine. Here you can see the connectors on the the 248B. The hoses for my 4in1 are connected to the standard connections. The larger quick connects are for the Hi-Volume attachments and the smaller ones for for signal or pilot controls.

  4. #4Steve Frazier2007-09-11 21:27

    If you are going to be snowblowing, then you want a high flow machine. I've got a 6' blower on my 248, I think you'll be disappointed with the lack of power with the 228. I'm pretty partial to my Cat, I tried them all when I was shopping and just love the controls on the Cat. You can see my machine here

  5. #5Squizzy246B2007-09-11 21:28

    Here is a link with a few specs, but not the pressures: http://www.myuniverse.us/construction/specs-skid-steer-loader-caterpillar.asp Here is a 228 that sold on Mach Tr: http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5511397 On this Harley Rake site you will see the rake listed as suitable for the 228 so they obviously don't have a problem with the Hi-Flow (I guess provided my above comments are taken into consideration) http://www.enterprisecommunicationn...rktools/landscaping/m6-and-m8-harley-rake.pdf There is also some specs here: http://rermag.com/mag/equipment_skid_steer_spec_3/