Bought a new 232D from Foley Equipment a month ago. Just discovered they want $800.00 to switch the ISO over to H pattern. Is this a simple fix or is it something an owner/operator should/could attempt. Nothing was said at time of purchase about control function and Foley apologizes but won't come down off price and I don't feel like arguing (or trying to get used to ISO control pattern). Advise...
Without a SERIAL NUMBER, it's impossible to be accurate but at first glance it looks like a software switch. It will require a factory password which is a cost to the dealer but without knowing the full picture, $800 seems a little steep.
I can easily provide a serial #, but suffice to say that the machine came from the Cat factory in late SEP19. Actually, an option of a toggle switch to switch from ISO to H is what was quoted at $682.00 to include the field service charge of installation (at my farm) some 20 miles from their shop. Initially, Foley wanted $250.00 for field service but I talked them out of that. I'm almost getting used to the ISO pattern now, but the option may be advantageous down the road when I decide to sell. A toggle switch doesn't sound so much like a 'software switch' but I know nothing of electronics....
I don't get why Cat wont offer the pattern changer as standard equipment like most other OEMs with EH. I demoed a 272D in 2018. Cat had to order the machine in with a pattern changer. As I recall it was around $600 option. Like most things its cheaper to have that way from the factory than to add it after the fact. Wouldn't surprise me that it would be 800 plus as a shop added option. That pattern changer is a significant option for me. When you have guys that run ISO and H pattern it keeps everyone productive and more safe.
Col, the issue for those of us who work with Cat information is that to provide accurate answers requires a Serial Number, just like if you went into a car dealership for model-specific parts they'd ask you for a VIN Number. Cat build machines all over and for any given model year there may be three or four different Serial Number prefixes on the go at the same time, each one produced in a different factory. I looked in the system for 232D and found five different prefixes. Now the information for all five might be the same but I wouldn't put my hand on my heart and guarantee it. From your post above I think I can see what the issue might be. It would appear that your machine does not have the optional Pattern Change switch (it's an extra - what Cat refers to as an Attachment) installed. So what it appears to me as though the dealer is quoting you is not simply to change the control pattern, it's installing the necessary parts and changing the software in the machine control to enable you to change the pattern using Switch #11 in the illustration below any time you want to. A slightly different scenario. What you are experiencing is a bug bear of mine from when I worked in the dealer world. The whole thing about the pattern changer (and all the other available Attachments) should have been brought up to you by the Sales people BEFORE you placed the order to buy the machine, so that what you bought was what you needed.
The pattern can either be changed in the software or the switch can be added which will also require a software change. The cost should be similar except for about $40 for the switch and the extra labour cost to install it.
Why would a sales rep bring up something that will add to their commission after the fact? Second question is what wet behind the ears college graduate in psychology, history or grade school teacher is ever going to learn about the machines they are supposed to be selling?
We have a 259d with the switch but I find it a it annoying that you have to press 1 or 2 then every time you start the machine so I don't think it would add much resale value ( it's not a rocker switch marked ISO and H it's a momentary 1 and 2 switch).
I forgot about having to hit the pattern each time. Others keep you in the pattern the machine was last used in until you want to change it. Not sure what the purpose is of reaffirming the pattern at each start. As far as value, it is no different then other adds like high flow, to the guy that never uses it, it doesn't provide much value. When you have multiple operators with different pattern preferences, having the ability to change patterns is pretty important and worth way more than it costs on the job.
No kidding. When I bought my last pickup I knew more about the F150 than the salesman lol.