Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 1845C Cummins Coolant Ports?

Larpy ยท 2019-11-06 22:22

I am going to I stall an after market heater in my 1845c but I am not sure where to hook the fittings in for the 5/8 heater hose or what size fittings I will need. I think one port is down by the lower radiator hose and have read the other is up by the oil filter. Does this sound correct and is one a supply and one a return? Putting in a Maradyn 5030 heater. I have the windows and door installed but extra heat will be nice. I have also removed the solid tires in the pock and put the air filled wheels and tires on with 4 sets of chains. Getting ready for the snow! A new 84" blade went on today. Will post pics.

Replies20
  1. #1kshansen2019-11-07 07:44

    Isn't that engine the same as the 3.9L/4Bt that Dodge and others used in trucks? Maybe some one has one and could get a picture of where they install heater hoses. Also referred to as a 4T-390 in a Case But the locations you mention do sound right.

  2. #2phil3142019-11-07 08:34

    I can snap some pics later today. Mine is mounted up behind the seat. Do yourself a favor and put long hoses on it, then you'll be able to roll the cab forwards WITHOUT having to disconnect them EVERY time. It sucks. Engine is a 4-390 (no T, no turbo).

  3. #3kshansen2019-11-07 19:10

    Guess I copied that from a parts page for some other machine as I was looking at a few different machines hoping they would show the heater line locations on the engine. If running long lines is a problem, maybe install shut off valves at the engine, then get a pair of these pliers, they will come in handy other places!:

  4. #4phil3142019-11-07 19:38

    Here's where my heater is hooked up. 1. Under the alternator, on the side where the lower radiator hose connects. 2. Front top of the engine block (rear of machine), near the belt pulley.

  5. #5phil3142019-11-07 19:40

    Na, running long lines isn't a problem at all. It's just one of those things that's only a priority after something else has gone wrong. And then it's a secondary priority which is quickly forgotten about after the first priority is fixed. The real problem is with the owner.

  6. #6kshansen2019-11-08 10:41

    I still like the idea of shut off valves at both points on the engine just in case a hose gets cut or pinched. That way you can shut off the water and keep going till you have time to fix the hose.

  7. #7alrman2019-11-08 15:26

    There are also plugs to allow these fittings at the lower radiator hose housing & at the rear of the cylinder head LHS. You can choose whatever suits your situation.

  8. #8Larpy2019-11-08 17:17

    Thanks all!

  9. #9Larpy2019-11-08 21:38

    Does anyone know the size of fittings I need to plumb in the coolant lines?

  10. #10alrman2019-11-09 00:00

    They would be 1/2" PT

  11. #11Larpy2019-11-18 22:39

    Is the lower the supply and the upper the return? My heater has a supply and return line. If I don't get it right it cuts down the heat by 25%.

  12. #12alrman2019-11-19 00:04

    The port at the lower radiator hose housing, would be return. It is the coolest part of the cooling system & it would also draw the most efficiently.

  13. #13kshansen2019-11-19 06:49

    Not trying to confuse things but do the terms "supply and return" refer to the warm water out of the heater and cold water to the heater? I would be thinking the "supply" would mean the cold water from the low point of the engine and "return" meaning warm water returning to the engine. If I'm wrong this would not be the first time I got caught up with terminology.

  14. #14Delmer2019-11-19 09:14

    Ken, I think he's talking about a CAB heater. But it could be a BLOCK heater (tank type circulating heater). that's the problem with drawn out threads, you forget what's going on.

  15. #15phil3142019-11-19 09:27

    Hot coolant comes from the cylinder head port and goes to the cab heater to heat the cab. (supply) After going through the cab heater, the coolant (returns) back to the lower radiator port. Supply & return are from the perspective of the cab heater.

  16. #16kshansen2019-11-19 15:23

    My bad! This time of year with the temps getting down to the teens F some nights had me thinking about having the engine start and one more thing the 1845C I used to plow snow around the winter around the shop didn't have a cab! Learned that it's not too smart to be pushing a pile of snow at top speed right at a snowbank with a foot deep puddle in front of it! Can you say Tsunami?

  17. #17Larpy2019-11-19 17:15

    Correct. Installation of a cab heater to keep me cozy!!

  18. #18Larpy2019-11-19 17:23

    Thanks Guys!

  19. #19kshansen2019-11-19 19:24

    Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion

  20. #20Larpy2019-11-19 23:42

    No problem.