Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 232d

AlanC ยท 2020-11-02 02:30

Hi. I have a cat 232d which i am trying to add a backhoe. From the Cat plug i only need the 12 volts which is pin b for ground and pins k and l for 12v+. Measures 11.89v and is live even with machine turned off. The rest of the control is by a standalone 4 position joystick that operates 12v dc solenoids. If i energise a solenoid the voltage drops to 0.47v ( solenoid does not pull in). Disconnect solenoid so it is only the solenoid plug top then when energised the voltage drops to 8.75 volts(there is an led in the plug top). What could be wrong. Is pins k and l normally powered or is it an option and I am reading a strange induced voltage. Regards Alan

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2020-11-02 15:36

    Are you referring to the Work Tool connector on the LH side of the Lift Arms.? AFAIK there is no pin in that connector that carries battery + voltage. Pin B is ground as you say, but it is only used as part of a "ground detect loop" for energizing High Flow & Super High Flow (if equipped). Serial Number..? You can have an electrical schematic if that would help.

  2. #2AlanC2020-11-02 23:22

    Hi. Thanks for the reply. Yes it is the work tool connector. I remembered finding somewhere on this forum that B is ground and both K & L were 12V+. However looking at the wiring diagram L on my machine does not have any connection. I have decided to go a different way. I will mount a battery on the backhoe separate from the machine. Just calculating the size I need now to get me through a days work. The battery only powers the solenoids so hopefully it won't require a large one. Thanks again. Alan.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2020-11-03 00:07

    Do you already have a backhoe attachment that requires electric activation? I have a Bradco backhoe for my Cat 248 that has manual valves, just requires auxiliary oil flow.

  4. #4AlanC2020-11-03 05:43

    Correct. It uses the Skidsteer hydraulics set on continuous flow then it has 4 electrically operated solenoid valves for left/right slew, bucket curl in and bucket curl out. Had it working today but it is way too fast. Need to slow the hydraulic movement speed down to maybe 15%. This is the type operated from inside the cabin.