Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 235 hoe orange indicator lights and operating characteristics?

hardluckcowboy ยท 2013-06-30 11:57

Hello guys Am new member looking for some info. I have been searching for an older excavator in my area for a while to use on my farm, (very limited budget) and am currently looking at an older Cat 235. aprox. 1984. Have put a few hours on much newer units but not at all sure how this one should operate. Machine starts and runs good. Unit has separate floor pedals for forward and reverse, with a stick in between floor pedals which controlled direction. When testing unit out I found that unit would stop forward or backward movement and more or less just pivot when I used the directional lever. Also I could not lift boom until I stopped driving? Machine would lift itself no problem pushing down . There are 2 orange lights near the bottom of the guage panel, the left one was on? Does any one know what the lights are for? I was wondering if it is possible this is a hydraulic oil level indicator and these symptoms could be from low hydraulic oil? Long story but like a dummy I didn't physically check the hydraulic oil level at the time. Also wondering if anyone knew if there are any excavator salvage companies in or around the Edmonton Alberta area?

Replies5
  1. #1mitch5042013-06-30 12:38

    If I remember right, the left light is and air filter restriction indicator. A lot of times these lights are on because of a worn spot on a wire. The operating characteristics you describe are normal. A lot of people will say these old girls can't walk and work at the same time, but they can. You have to practice feathering the travel pedal. If you press the pedal all the way all the pumps flow goes to the tracks. The tiller steering also improves with practice. If you lean it just a tiny bit it will take power off that track but release it's brakes, letting that track freewheel, but it takes practice. If you lean it further, it will take the power from that track and allow the spring brakes to come on, stopping that track. If you lean it all the way over it will put that track in reverse. Once you get the hang of these old girls they will do anything the newer ones will do, just a little slower. Since they are Cats, the parts availability is good. I hope you aren't planning to trailer it often, a 235 is a hoss. Good luck, Mitch

  2. #2PAcattech2013-06-30 12:58

    left light is for hydraulic filter right is air filter bottom red if it has it is for hydraulic oil level. I wouldn't even think of buying it unless you get to cut open filters and check for metal. might be wire or switch . but id be a little nervous.

  3. #3theironoracle2013-07-01 23:47

    operating characteristics = ssssssssssllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww, if I remember correctly these machines only had one main hydro pump for everything multifunctioning was not really possible, worked on a 235b for years if you ran it hard you could suck the fuel tank dry in 10 hrs and if I remember correctly it is 160 gallons!................TIO

  4. #4hardluckcowboy2013-07-21 16:43

    thanks Would like to thank everyone for their help, much appreciated.. Ended up not purchasing this unit as found a different machine I believe is more suited to what I need and seems to be in much better mechanically. Definetely will have more questions but will post new thread.

  5. #5DirtHauler2013-07-21 16:50

    Thanks for the update, so often we never hear how things turned out.