Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 236B and 246B differences?

bphillips ยท 2012-05-13 23:59

Hello all. I am the new owner of a 2004 236B skid steer. Open cab model with 700 hours. I've been doing a lot of reading of the specifics of the 236B and the 246B and cannot determine what the cause of the power increase was from the 236B to the 246B. Both have the 3044c DIT engine, but the 236B has 70 hp net and the 246B has 78 hp net. Does any one know the reason for the increase? Is it a different compression ratio, more boost, or more fuel? Or all the above? Secondly, the frame seems to be the same on both models as well. Anyone know the reason for the higher operating capacity for the 246B? Was wondering if it would be possible to obtain both the engine hp and the operating capacity of the 246B with some minor tweaking. Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1apetad2012-07-26 19:48

    A Turbocharger and NOTHING ELSE different.

  2. #2bphillips2013-01-16 11:22

    Would like to bring this topic back to the top for one more go around. Actually the 236b does have a turbo. So does anyone know if the turbos are the same? Different boost controller settings?

  3. #3KSSS2013-01-16 21:02

    I dont know about these models specifically but usually its nothing but different injection pump settings when two machines run the same engine and are only separated by a few hp. I would expect that the 246 has some additional counter weight to give it more ROC.