Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 236B2 Aux Hydraulics Won’t Energize

check ยท 2015-09-09 18:54

I rented an auger today, first time to try out auxiliary hydraulics. Couldn't get it to do anything. Went home and got Operators Manual CD and laptop and tried to figure out what I was doing wrong. I checked every fuse, all OK. I tried every control imaginable to get it to kick in. Right hand thumbwheel in both directions, continuous flow button on left joystick, hydraulic interlock override and lockout at the same time. There was never any change in the tone of the engine or movement of hydraulic attachment hoses. Everything else works normally. Machine has a lot of hours on it. Is there anything else obvious that I overlooked?

Replies6
  1. #1Rockitman2015-10-15 19:24

    It could have been a problem with the rental power head. Did you ask the rental shop to try it on one of their machines?

  2. #2Nige2015-10-16 04:12

    I assume the auger requires an electrical connection. Have you checked for power at the auxiliary harness connection on the loader arm after turning on the auxiliary hydraulics..? The connector has 8 pins - a line of 3 pins top and bottom and 2 pins in the centre. With the auxiliary power energized you should have 12V between the LH pin of the bottom row looking from the front of the loader towards the cab.

  3. #3caterpillarmech2015-10-16 06:07

    I would check to make sure your aux solenoids are getting power. PITA though. Have to raise the cab, connect the wires and then drop the cab to operate it. You can test with the engine off and park brake released. Just need the key switched on. Should have 12 volts going to the solenoids. One at a time of course. If that does not work, you will need to trace back to the joystick.

  4. #4Nige2015-10-16 06:23

    Sorry, missed a bit. You should have 12V between the LH pin of the bottom row and machine frame ground.

  5. #5check2015-10-17 00:46

    Thanks for the feedback. The auger did not have an electrical connection.

  6. #6Mark2502015-10-17 07:40

    I am assuming that this machine has standard hydraulics only and not fitted with any of the high flow options, The Aux hydraulics on these machines are controlled by the Aux hydraulic ECM and there are two control configurations of the A1 and A2 Aux solenoids .these are on/off operation with two buttons on the right joystick or proportional control with a thumb wheel on the right joystick. It is possible that the configuration set up in the ECM is incorrect. in other words it has been setup for PWM operation but has buttons on the joystick or vice versa or the joy stick has been changed due to some problem and the wrong one has been fitted This can only be changed with CAT ET Mark