Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 236b2 continuous flow solenoid location?

JoeUser · 2021-01-25 09:26

I recently acquired a well-cared-for 236b2 (non-construction use, ranch use only). The previous owner (2nd) stated that he could never get the continuous flow to function, but it wasn't a show-stopper for his use. However, my right thumb is really getting a workout holding down the flow button for a brush cutter, and I've tried the operator manual's instructions to activate the CF mode with no success. So, I'm assuming it's likely the solenoid that is not kicking in properly, perhaps? The left joystick is new, btw, so I'm hesitant to blame the CF button, but won't rule it out completely. In lieu of purchasing the service manual, does anyone know off the top of their head where that solenoid is located? I could at least see if it's responsive to current and functional, just don't have a clue where it's located. Many thanks!

Replies31
  1. #1Nige2021-01-25 09:54

    You could trace it using the electrical schematic. Post a Serial number and I'll send you a copy.

  2. #2JoeUser2021-01-25 10:22

    Thanks very much for the assistance! HEN07042 Strange, how when I put that S/N into the Cat web site they show it as a 236B, why not a 236B2? There's no reference anywhere on their site for a 236B2. Anyway...

  3. #3Nige2021-01-25 10:30

    According to SIS, any Serial Number HEN1-6749 is a 236B. HEN6750-Up is a 236B2. To make things even more complicated, the electrical schematics overlap the above S/N range. There is one for 236B S/N HEN1-6749 & 236B2 HEN6750-8069, and a second one for 236B2 HEN8070-Up.

  4. #4JoeUser2021-01-25 10:36

    So, mine would fall in the HEN6750-8609 edition? Wonder why they had so many, lots of mid-model changes, then eventually they released the 236B3?

  5. #5heymccall2021-01-25 10:37

    It's a B on the Cat parts store and SIS

  6. #6Nige2021-01-25 11:02

    I agree with HMC. It looks like machines from HEN6750-8059 were a sort of "236B 1-1/2", having more in common with the 236B (including the electrical system) and were not a true 236B2 model. That would explain why there is a different electrical schematic for HEN8070-Up marked as "236B2".

  7. #7JoeUser2021-01-25 11:08

    I discovered the same as HMC, when I created an account on Cat and added my S/N. I'm not hung up on the classification, having a "236B1.5", lol. Still a great machine, although it appears branded as a B2. So, Nige. What say you, regarding the solenoid location, now that we have the S/N sussed? I imagine it's under the cab somewhere, and since my first task upon arriving on site in another week is to lift the cab and clean that would be the opportune time to check that solenoid...

  8. #8Nige2021-01-25 11:08

    It's appears as though machines between 6750 & 8070 are something like a "236B 1-1/2", having a lot in common with the machines in the 1-6749 S/N range including the electrics. In SIS anything 6750-UP is apparently considered a B2 model. However as HMC pointed out even if you click the hyperlink shown below for the B2 model the title page still just shows "236B".

  9. #9Nige2021-01-25 11:22

    I may be missing something somewhere, but Continuous Flow is a Part of the High Flow Attachment (optional extra in other words) and I don't see anywhere that HEN07042 was built with that Attachment ex-factory. It could of course have been added later.

  10. #10JoeUser2021-01-25 11:31

    Hmm, ok. I'm wondering if the newly-replaced left joystick was not from a 236B(2) then. Could be the button wire attaches to nothing, then, heh. Guess I'll have to take it apart to find out! And, yes, it does not have Hi-Flow. It didn't specify that the feature was for Hi-Flow only in the operator manual, but I may have missed that.

  11. #11heymccall2021-01-25 11:56

    Pulled my schematic...

  12. #12heymccall2021-01-25 12:08
  13. #13JoeUser2021-01-25 12:15

    Thanks, HMC, those instructions are exactly what I followed, but no joy with the flow continuing (immediately stops when I release the right joystick button). So, I guess the question is whether High-Flow must be installed for this feature to work, then (as Nige alluded to earlier). And, appears from the diagram you posted the solenoid resides in the High-Flow section. I guess I can try calling the local Cat dealer for more info, I reckon. At least find out if that feature relies upon that HF kit or not. Thanks for all of your help, guys! Really gives me a place to start researching.

  14. #14Nige2021-01-25 12:19

    That makes sense. The schematic does not show HF as being an option on a 236. Only on 226, 242, & 257. Take that information as you will. (The Continuous Flow solenoid is shown at the bottom RH corner) FWIW I looked at the HF Attachment on the Schematic for machines HEN8070-Up (full-fat 236B2) and it is exactly the same illustration.

  15. #15JoeUser2021-01-25 12:36

    Thanks, Nige. Well, sounds like the final arbiter would be the dealer. I'll check with them before I head to the site next, see what they can illuminate. Appreciate the assistance!

  16. #16Nige2021-01-25 16:32

    Don't hold your hopes out too much. In too many cases over the years HEF members have come up with info that the official dealers had struck out on.

  17. #17JoeUser2021-01-26 08:11

    This forum is turning out to be an invaluable resource, for sure! There's nothing like the experiences of others to assist with issues, indeed. If it turns out to be a dry hole at the dealer, regarding any further answers, and if it also turns out that I don't possess the continuous flow plumbing and cannot retrofit it (not without all the supporting High-Flow valves and necessary parts), then I could just wire up two toggle switches to the existing forward and reverse flow buttons wiring present on the joystick. There are some additional free blanks on the overhead switch panels where I could get two basic toggle switches from Cat (work tool activation switches, e.g.) and label one for Forward and the other Reverse. So, instead of mashing either button continuously I could just throw the toggle switch for whichever flow direction I desire and carry on brush cutting. With both switches off I could continue to use the joystick buttons for other tools that don't require a continuous flow (such as a grapple). Just need to be sure that one switch or the other is used at a time, and not both, obviously.

  18. #18Tyler d4c2021-01-26 08:27

    On a b model with a push button there should be a switch to lock the flow on to your left up by your head hit the button on the stick hit it then let go of the button.

  19. #19JoeUser2021-01-26 09:30

    I'll have to take a look to find it when I next head down to the site. There's no mention of it in the operators manual, but I'll have to double-check. What is the sequence, then? Activate the switch first, then the left joystick button becomes active (and the steps of pressing the CF button for two seconds, release, then immediately release the right joystick flow button)? Do you happen to have a picture of the switch, it's location exactly on the overhead console (position number from the left, e.g.) or its icon? That'd certainly help. Or, perhaps which section of the operators manual details it? Edit: After looking at SIS on Cat's site, the only switch they show on the left upper console is the WORK TOOL HYD PRESS RELEASE switch (with the red lock to prevent accidental pressure release from the attached work tool). But, that's it, at least for a 236B (as my serial number is identified as using Cat's site). I'll have to get a closer look at the console when I return to the machine to see if there are any others on that left console. There's an INTERLOCK OVERRIDE switch on the right console, however. Edit, addtl: So, the operators manual just says the following for the INTERLOCK OVERRIDE switch, but nowhere does it state that it must be set prior to using the continuous flow feature? Weird, but I've read other manuals for other products that omit steps, so it's possible to be the case here, as well. Interlock Override - The interlock override allows the auxiliary hydraulic circuits to function with the armrest in the RAISED position. First activate the continuous flow control that is located on the left side joystick. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Joystick (Left Side)" for detailed information. Press the bottom of the interlock override switch. This will activate the interlock override function. In order to turn off the interlock override and continuous flow, press the bottom of the switch again.​ Well, I reckon I can try activating the Interlock Override first, and then try the continuous flow steps again, and see if setting that interlock override is necessary as pre-cursor to using the joystick button...

  20. #20Tyler d4c2021-01-26 15:35

    Start the function with the joystick button push the momentary on the over head let go of the stick button and it will still be running

  21. #21JoeUser2021-01-26 15:40

    You mean the Interlock Override switch? OK, I'll give that a try, as well, thanks!

  22. #22Tyler d4c2021-01-26 15:44

    I was wrong the a models where on the over head the b is on the left stick lower left button

  23. #23JoeUser2021-01-27 07:49

    OK, well looks like I'm back to where I started. Got more research to do...

  24. #24heymccall2021-01-27 08:11

    Is your right joystick buttons or thumbwheel for the auxiliaries? If just buttons, test LH stick button for function at the connector below it.

  25. #25JoeUser2021-01-27 08:23

    Yeah the right joystick buttons are for forward and reverse flow of the attachment. The left joystick buttons are for the horn and CF. Good idea, I'll check that electrical connector on the left joystick as well. Could just be a poor or a bad connection there perhaps (and, the previous owner did replace that joystick at one time). He did explain to me when I bought it that he could never get continuous flow to work, but that it was not a big deal for him as he never used anything that required that function. Thanks for the suggestion.

  26. #26Tyler d4c2021-01-27 10:06

    Do you have a picture of the left stick by chance the button for continuous flow has to be around some where this is quite odd

  27. #27JoeUser2021-01-27 10:31

    It's just contains two momentary push buttons; the left one is the horn, and the right one is for continuous flow. It's not a question of how to trigger continuous flow (the operators manual I have describes this), or where the button is to activate it, it's a matter of it not working according to the instructions. Thus, my original intent of starting this thread, to determine where I can progress from this point (possibly by checking the CF solenoid).

  28. #28heymccall2021-01-27 10:53

    Again, since you only have auxiliary ON and OFF, and not the PWM thumbwheel, there was no need for a separate solenoid. The ECM will just latch ON the existing solenoid. I still suspect the LH trigger.

  29. #29JoeUser2021-01-27 11:03

    Man, I sure hope that it's just the button or a poor connection at the connector underneath the joystick. If it's ECU coupled then hopefully it's not the ECU, that would be a very expensive fix...

  30. #30heymccall2021-01-27 11:07

    No. It doesn't have to be. We can have you add a latching relay to the RH button circuit.

  31. #31JoeUser2021-01-27 13:20

    Well, first things first. Sounds like I need to confirm the operation of the CF button on the left joystick, and go from there. I'll update the thread once I get some results (will likely be a couple of weeks, when I return to the site).