Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 236D chain case adjustment

Fairfieldcounty ยท 2020-12-09 23:33

I have a machine that I've recently purchased that is making some noise from the chain case/drive motor. Sounds like a whining/hissing. Opened it up to check fluid and visually inspect. oil is clean and a bit low but nothing alarming, the chains appear to need an adjustment. I have approximately 1" of free play in them. The manual has a tool noted fro adjustment, is it needed or can we adjust them by measuring and tapping them to where we need them? Also, when we removed the first bolt from the inspection cover, I had some pressurized air come out, from both sides of the machine, I don't think this is normal. thoughts? CAT 236D Serial: BGZ02092

Replies3
  1. #1Cmark2020-12-10 01:58

    The tool is just a handy way of jacking the axle housings apart. You can use whatever is convenient. I don't see any mention of a breather for the chain cases in SIS so I would say that a little pressure/vacuum is normal.

  2. #2Nige2020-12-10 12:13

    Tapping won't work. You'll need to jack them to where they need to go to correctly tension the chains. Basically the tool you mention is a large screw jack. There will be quite some weight involved to make sure whatever you use for jacking is securely fixed and can't move when you have the weight on it.

  3. #3Fairfieldcounty2020-12-10 18:41

    we ended up using a porta power and it worked perfect.