Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 239 D Question

jessiedv · 2025-02-27 18:23

Cat 239 D EGR recirculation valve control. 2791-10. Cat said it needed new harness. With that completed the limp mode came back. They then said it needed new EGR valve assembly. Then it went to limp mode again and I brought it home with the 2791-10 code and a 723-2 code. I am through having them guess and their guess not make it run as it should. Still runs about 12 minutes and back to the limp mode. Would someone help me figure this out. I would dance if we could make this skid steer run correctly.

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2025-02-27 18:40

    Are those both two Codes permanent or does the 723-2 come and go.? Could do with a Serial Number to look up info. I see 6 different variants. Engine harness I assume.?

  2. #2jessiedv2025-02-27 18:47

    Both codes now stay on. Yes, the complete engine harness. I will get the machine serial number in the morning. It is a newer model, it’s at my shop and I’ll send the information in the morning. Thank you.

  3. #3Nige2025-02-27 21:41

    I understand that but did they always do that.? The more back story you can give the better. Did one (which one?) start before the other.? Did the 723-2 Code come & go before it set as a hard (permanent) fault.?

  4. #4jessiedv2025-02-28 13:20

    Ok, i apologize for the late start. My wife had surgery recently on 2 blocked arteries. The EGR code was first and stays on. The 723-2 only showed up after Cat put the engine harness on and then the same limp mode continued and they told me it was the EGR recirculation valve assembly. When that was installed the limp mode continued and i brought it back to my farm shop.

  5. #5jessiedv2025-02-28 13:22

    The 723-2 I dont see it as a permanent code.

  6. #6jessiedv2025-02-28 13:25

    Product number--CAT0239DABL901846

  7. #7jessiedv2025-02-28 13:27

    MFG 06/20/17

  8. #8Nige2025-02-28 13:53

    No worries. The machine will be still around whenever you get the time to work on it. Interesting that the 723-2 Code only showed up after the change of engine wiring harness. Usually it's the other way around, the harness is replaced to fix a fualt, not cause one........ 723-2 is quite a common fault BTW and often the root cause is a damaged wire inside the engine harness. Do you have any sort of documentation from the dealer indicating what Part Number of harness they installed.? So if the 723-2 Code is not permanaent under what conditions does it tend to set.?

  9. #9jessiedv2025-02-28 16:03

    I did not see the 723-2 code until i brought it home and started the process of following up on common sense items like the water separator, clean the injectors, remove and clean the turbo and add power service to the fuel. I will send the part# on the harness in a bit.

  10. #10jessiedv2025-02-28 18:08

    Harness part#522-3414. The issue that caused us to send it to Cat dealer was the limp mode. they performed a wiggle test on the harness and replaced to harness. it continued to run in limp mode and they said the next thing was to replace the EGR valve assembly with new gaskets. after completion on that, test run and still had limp mode.

  11. #11Nige2025-02-28 18:43

    The engine wiring harness was originally 456-4592. This upgraded first to 481-4485 then to 522-3414. A sure sign that all was not right with the original design - which from experience we already know. There was never anything published regarding detail for these two updates, which is somewhat strange. So the limp mode was as a result of the 2791-10 then, because as I understand it the 723-2 only came along later.?

  12. #12jessiedv2025-03-01 08:57

    Yes, that is the answer from Cat and the wire harness should correct the limp mode.

  13. #13Nige2025-03-01 09:04

    Did you have that in writing.? Because if you did then in your shoes I would be asking for my money back on the basis that they said "this is the fix" and it wasn't.........

  14. #14jessiedv2025-03-01 09:40

    I thought of that. I have the invoice that they charged $4100.00 for the harness install. Their diagnostics report in writing said the wiggle test identified a faulty engine harness with a short circuit as source of trouble code. Replace with new engine wiring harness. The very same reply when this did not repair the limp mode issue. Diagnostics test ($600.00) shows that the next step was EGR valve assembly was not working correctly(abnormal rate of change). I agreed to all of this as they had the equipment to correctly make the repairs. I paid $7000.00 total and left the dealer very unhappy and made myself a firm guarantee that I would somehow find the problems, correct them and then go back to the Cat dealer with my results on how to repair my Cat skid steer. I dont like to get upset and knowing me, I will not go back to the Cat dealership. I apologize for the rant. I make all my own repairs on my Kubota tractors, my NH backhoe, my JD dozer, Fiat Allis dozer and all my farm equipment. I farm for a living and take pride in my ability to repair my own equipment instead of paying some one else to do so. Thank you for everything.

  15. #15Chrisso2025-03-01 13:41

    So before the harness replacement you had just the 2791-10 EGR valve code. After the harness update you still had that EGR code plus the 723-2 Engine #2 speed sensor code. Big question is was the 723-2 logging before the harness update? If so, replacing a harness with known issues on an engine with two unrelated fault codes, I probably would've done the same thing. However, if the 723-2 only started logging after the harness update, I would be taking the machine back to the dealer and demanding rework. The only way to prove this is ask the dealer to send you the first Product Status Report they downloaded from your machine when you delivered it to them for repairs. This will be a PDF file that can be emailed. That will show hours when the code started logging.

  16. #16jessiedv2025-03-01 14:43

    Now the RPM'S constantly go up and down? No limp mode. I guess Im to proud to return it to the Cat dealership and let them keep running up my tab. I know that I need help and will continue until i find the true cause of this machine issues. i will keep asking for support from this forum to correct the issues and not carry it back to the Cat dealership. Someone has had these codes and fuel related problems as I have. Hopefully the members will work with me. Thanks.

  17. #17Chrisso2025-03-01 21:21

    I don't blame you. What exactly did you get for that $7k? We can guide you to fixing the faults, but if that speed sensor code first generated after they replaced the harness well that's on them. Fault with the new harness? 12 months warranty on parts/labour? As mentioned, will need that PSR. At some point you're going to need Cat ET software for the EGR fault. There's a speed sensor on the front of the engine, in front of the high pressure fuel pump, behind the big black cover. That's your #2 engine speed sensor. Is it plugged in properly? If you disconnect it and run the engine, does the engine speed correct itself?

  18. #18Nige2025-03-02 10:28

    In fact ask them for every PSR that they ever downloaded from that machine. There should be more than one. Comparing them could provide some clues.

  19. #19ozarkag2025-03-02 19:37

    I was following this this thread thinking C3.3 ( Kubota V3307). Then we had a service call on one and huh, it's a C2.2. ( Perkins Shibaru 404J)