Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 297c front torsion

Russell McBain · 2025-02-27 08:56

I have my 2008 297c GCP01201, I’ve noticed the front end sitting very low, more so on the left. There’s also a gap, 1/2”, between the left torsion bar and the mounting bracket. There’s also cat has 4600 hours, I bought used and it was beat.. already replaced all the track wheels and tracks. I’m assuming I might just need to replace the torsion assemblies!?

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2025-02-27 09:31

    Post some photos please, so everyone else can see what you're looking at.

  2. #2Russell McBain2025-02-27 11:16

    Ok, sorry, it’s a little dark, but the front of the torsion assemblies are not even, and the undercarriage to the ground is maybe 4”.

  3. #392U 34062025-02-27 12:29

    The torsion bars do get weak over time. I have replaced quite a few rear ones on 279 and 289 D series machines. One thing I would check first is if there is a ton of excess mud and debris under the cab. Also, if you do determine its the torsion bars, replace the bushings in the track frame and any spacers or shims as well. They're usually beat and worn beyond any hope of reuse.

  4. #4Russell McBain2025-02-27 13:09

    Thank you! No mud, I try and keep that clean. Looks like to replace I’d pull the whole track/track frame off? I have another skid w/forks to get it back in place if that’s how to do it..?

  5. #5Russell McBain2025-03-01 17:13

    Any suggestions on best way to replace the front torsion assemblies?