Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 239D EGR Valve Error

masber2000 ยท 2022-09-27 19:14

Hello- Due to sickness, my 239D has been sitting unused for about 4 months. I was finally able to start it back up last week. When starting, I got the following error message, along with loss of power when revving the engine: 2791-10 Engine Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve Control Abnormal Rate of Change Upon seeing this, I removed the EGR Valve and cleaned it thoroughly. Before reinstall, I would like to test it to ensure it works correctly. What's the best way to do this? Also, could this error code signal another problem besides the EGR valve? If yes, what should I look for? Thank you, Mb2k

Replies10
  1. #1harry125642023-10-23 15:10

    I also have the same problem with my 249 and wondering how to correct Its only been sitting a month so i am confused on what went Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks H

  2. #2Nige2023-10-23 15:50

    Do you have a Serial Number.? It makes finding info easier. Please confirm the actual Diagnostic Code you have. A quick search showed a couple of 2791 Codes but no 2791-10.

  3. #3harry125642023-10-25 11:27

    cat0249DPGWR00443 is serial number Any help is appreciated

  4. #4Nige2023-10-25 12:36

    Here you go. See the attachment for the test procedure. You will not be able to do Step 9 because you do not have ET. If you want a complete electrical schematic please ask.

  5. #5harry125642023-10-25 13:47

    i have to figure out how to get to anything in there Its awful tight Thank u for reponse

  6. #6Tree Mulcher2023-10-25 16:18

    In addition to the above procedures. I would consider a detailed inspection/testing of the engine wiring harness before replacing the actuator assembly if unable to confirm a faulty actuator assembly. The complete engine harness from cat is reasonably priced IMO and much less cost than the actuator assembly. I tried an aftermarket actuator with no success one time. The last one I changed was considerably lower cost from cat dealer then local Kubota dealer and this was some time ago. Also of note if the actuator starts sticking open to far it can cook an engine in some situations before you get codes.

  7. #7Nige2023-10-26 05:31

    That's Step 1 in the procedure I posted above. Often overlooked.......

  8. #8Tree Mulcher2023-10-26 14:57

    Good to know Nige. I should have read that procedure before commenting. I agree "often overlooked"

  9. #9Nige2023-10-26 15:38

    I can't remember if it is this particular engine model that is in the OP's machine but there was a specific area where the engine harness is secured to a ladder clip that is pulled in a very tight radius. It is well-known for wire failures due to a combination of pressure from the zip tie and vibration at that very spot.

  10. #10Chrisso2023-10-26 18:18

    Lift up the radiator. That's covered in your Operation and Maintenance Manual. Also the schematic will help identify where everything is and has component part numbers. Unplug the sensor you think is the EGR valve. Key on. If you get more codes active relating to the EGR valve position sensor and EGR valve actuator you're at the right plug. If you get coolant sensor voltage above normal or something else you're not.