Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 239D Low Oil Pressor Sensor Warning

cjohnsen · 2023-01-06 17:09

I’ve got a 2019 Cat 239D that just popped up a low oil pressure sensor warning. It ran fine last week. I started it up today and about 30 seconds after I started it the warning popped up. I’m hoping it’s a faulty oil pressure sensor since it worked fine last week and the message come up right after this startup. My first plan is to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and go from there. However I’ve got 2 questions for anyone familiar with the Cat/Perkins 2.2 engines. 1. Where do they stuff the oil pressure sensor on these engines. I can’t see it anywhere. 2. Where would you recommend plugging a mechanical gauge into. I can’t see any obvious ports, there’s nothing around the filter housing I can see. Saying the access around these engines is terrible would be an understatement. Hopefully someone around here has had the misfortune of having to work on these and can offer me some advice.

Replies11
  1. #1ahart2023-01-06 18:30

    What is the serial number?

  2. #2cjohnsen2023-01-06 18:52

    BL903510

  3. #3ahart2023-01-06 19:13

    Switch looks to be mounted in the rocker box on one end right on top. As for where to check oil pressure, I’d probably try to remove the switch and check it there if possible. #4 on that picture is a plug, doesn’t specify thread size, might be possible to check it there.

  4. #4heymccall2023-01-06 19:17

    My SIS won't open today. The pressure switch is in one of two locations. I'd remove it and test there.

  5. #5heymccall2023-01-06 19:19

    The thread I linked below is for a C1.5, which is essentially the same, albeit a different displacement. HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6cjohnsen2023-01-23 15:52

    Thanks for everyone’s help and just an update incase anyone comes across this tread. I put a mechanical gauge on it and it wasn’t reading anything. I installed the gauge where the oil pressure sensor goes. When I removed the gauge there was oil up there so for the hell of it I started the machine with nothing in the port and got a very slow ooze of oil. Each time I ran the machine (the the mechanical gauge and with nothing in the port) it was run for less than 10 seconds. I tried to start it one more time and it would crank over just fine and as soon as the motor would catch and start to run it would turn itself off. Like someone just turned the key off. The machine has less than 1000 hours and I’ve got a total of about 20 minutes using it since I purchased it from CAT. I’m going to just bring it up to them. It was sold as is and when taking to them I don’t have high hopes on the helping me at all but we’ll see what happens. And before anyone asks the reason I didn’t bring it to them sooner is I live on an island so it’s a pain to get a loader to my house to load it up on a semi, get on the ferry and drive up to CAT. But that’s the next step. Thanks to those who helped.

  7. #7Nige2023-01-23 18:52

    Service Mag dated August 2021 may be of interest - "There have been instances of issues with the engine oil pump. The engine oil pump shaft is breaking in some circumstances. The issue may cause a loss of engine oil pressure and a reduction in the flow of lubricating oil within the engine." An updated 566-6594 oil pump kit was introduced in June 21 that includes an improved shaft. Your oil pump as built in 2019 was a 472-4718.

  8. #8ahart2023-01-23 19:06

    Looks like the same as what was going on recently with this thread with member girth_brooks “ Cat CB24B low oil pressure”

  9. #9Nige2023-01-23 19:18

    HeavyEquipmentForums A different original oil pump kit P/N on the CB24 but interestingly both it and the 472-4718 mentioned above both update to the same Part Number - 566-6594, and are covered by the same S/Mag update. That case for the prosecution rests m'lud....

  10. #10cjohnsen2024-01-02 16:49

    I forgot to update this after I got the machine fixed in case anyone searches it. It turned out to be a bad oil pressure switch. Not sure why my mechanical gauge didn’t read pressure. Possibly I was too worried about running it and didn’t let it stay in for long enough to build pressure. In any case it’s all fixed.

  11. #11Nige2024-01-02 18:10

    Thanks for the update. A new switch is definitely the lesser of two evils compared to an oil pump.