Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 24″ Bucket

gabelmatt ยท 2011-01-16 19:02

Hey guys, I have a 24" Cat bucket with spade teeth on it. The other day I was digging through some frost and the shank snapped off. My question is can you buy replacement shanks for the bucket or not. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1dsichewski2011-01-16 23:00

    I know you can for 420d/e buckets as we had a few shanks break off. we would just send the bucket to a welding shop and have them air arc the old shank out and weld in the new shanks. I can't see why they wouldn't for a mini ex bucket...If I go to cat this week I will ask for you...

  2. #2bobcatmechanic2011-01-17 00:12

    bobcat sells them so im sure cat will or find a good aftermarket source for them esco maybe

  3. #3nzpatch2011-01-17 04:45

    you should go see your rep and ask him to look into replacing the shank as a 5ton digger shouldnt break them off. here in nz ive got new teeth for my 305ccr that broke off, so its worth a go.(my on only broke the teeth not the gum)

  4. #4lgammon2011-01-17 23:29

    i think that if it is a cat shank cat will replace it, not weld it in but give you a new one to install yourself

  5. #5Reel hip2011-01-31 11:38

    Aftermarket is a good way to go. My bobcat buckets with bolt on break off all the time. I replace with weld on. Just make sure you get the same pin type.

  6. #6dsichewski2011-01-31 12:32

    I pm'ed the OP but forgot to update the thread... I went to cat (battlefield) and asked them and they said 90% of the time they can get the replacement shank. With having newer buckets it shouldn't be a problem, I think its if its a older bucket there could be a issue. Just need to take the bucket part number to the parts guy and he can look after you from there. once get new shank, air arc old shank out and weld in new shank... David