Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 242B lift arms weak?

inasnap ยท 2013-02-24 22:08

I'm working on an 04 242B and the lift arms are weak going up, everything else works fine. once the arms are up I can tip the bucket down and raise the machine with down pressure in the arms. I have found a manual valve at the back door , if an operator is trapped with the arms up you can release the pressure and let the arms down , it seems to be in the correct position. Could it be in the self leveling ? Unsure where to start looking . Also it is not charging right now but has a new full charge cat battery in it . I had to replace the starter and starter relay to get it running. When I got it I was told it had hydraulic issues? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1bullfrogjohnson2013-02-25 22:39

    When the arms are up does the loader frame drift down at all? Is it weak in lifting power or just slow cycle times? Could have a relief valve sticking or could be an issue in the pilot control valve.

  2. #2inasnap2013-02-26 07:28

    Yes the arms drift down , used bucket to work on a generator , on the floor within an hour, machine off. It is weak in lifting power will not pick a person up and very slow ,Have to run it wide open to get it to move ,all other actions work normally ?

  3. #3bullfrogjohnson2013-02-28 22:46

    Sounds like the relief valve for the lift circuit is hanging. The pressure tap is on the front of the control valve at a 45* angle. run the loader frame up and stall the the lift circuit. pressure relief setting should be around 3400 if I remember correctly. If you can get me the serial number I can check for sure. As for the battery not charging. The alternators are known for going bad on those machines.