Running machine on slope. After some time the low oil pressure light will come on and beep. I have confirmed the pressure drops to 10 psi. Once shut off for a while and re started the light goes out. Has anyone run into this ? I have checked the oil pressure before running up/down hill and it is 55psi. There does seem to be a fair amount of blow by also. Not sure if this is normal for these engines. It has @1400 hours on it. I'm wondering if the oil gets aerated from going up and down hill and if the blow by has anything to do with it. The operators manual does state never exceed a slope that is greater than 25 degrees for continuous operation and 35 degrees for intermittent for/ aft operation. The 3024 has an intermittent rating of 15 minutes. Anyone else have this problem ?
Sounds to me like your starving the oil pump pickup, in the pan, when running on that incline. Are you checking pressure with a manual gauge, and fully warmed up. Oil at proper level? Low pressure can also be caused by bad rod or crank bearings. Or faulty sender. To eliminate bearing damage, as a cause, remove oil filter, and cut open filter housing with a filter cutter. Remove a section of the paper element, squeeze out residual oil in a vise, and unroll the pleats, look for shiny bits of metal. Using anything other than a filter cutter, you risk contaminating element inside, giving you a false diagnoses. I know there is a video floating around on u tube on how to do this.
If you are working on significant slopes maintaining the engine oil level right on the full mark of the dipstick, or even a hair above it (say 1/4-1/2") is a must IMO.
Have changed out 3 of the faulty pressure sensors on the cat B Series skid steers and track machines. The one owner was going to send it to auction and was very happy that a less than $100 sensor was the only problem. I did hook up a gauge first , then changed out the sensor when I knew there was good oil pressure. Simon C
I have replaced the sensor before and it is was bad. This time it's actually not it.
Some of the b models had a problem with the suction tube or seals leaking causing low oil pressure. There should be a service letter in it. I could take a look when I get a chance.
Oil pressure gauge is the way to go with oil at operating temperature. Maybe the sensor failed again or problem in motor somewhere. If oil pressure is good sensor or wiring problem. Simon C
I have done that a couple times and the filter is clean. thanks
Are you speaking about experience with the 242B in particular or just in general. My serial number is BXM00933 Thanks
I checked with the Cat dealer and my machine is not within that bulletin
Thanks
I always keep dipstick on my machine or anyone I service at 1/4 inch above the full mark with machine level to ensure there is lots of oil on inclines. Have worked a lot on 242B as well as other B-Series machines. Do the simple test first, before firing the parts cannon as Nige would say. Simon C
It is a general recommendation from Cat for all machines working on slopes AFAIK. Speaking personally I would always seek to maintain the engine oil level as an absolute minimum bang on the full mark, and probably a hair above it, if my intention was to work on any sort of a slope, simply to avoid the possibility of oil starvation. Try setting your oil at that level and see what happens. You really have nothing to lose by it.
Thanks for that, I wont be able to try it again until the snow melts but will let you know
Thanks Nige will do and let you know as soon as I can try it again