Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat S185 code 04-21 and shutdown

zlssefi · 2025-01-25 06:24

Need some help here guys. I have a 2003 bobcat s185 that was giving us an oil pressure light. I verified the pressure was in spec and replaced the sensor with one off Amazon. I know, bad idea but the problem seemed to get better. The condition continued, normally at about the 3 hour mark of operating. I verified 8v supply and ground on the sensor plug then replaced with an oem bobcat sensor. I instantly get the same code with the bobcat sensor and can barely get the machine out of my shop before shutdown. Following the bobcat flow chart and assuming the bobcat sensor is good ive unplugged water temp, hyd temp, hyd charge and seat bar sensors and the code hasn't cleared. Monday I'm going to unplug the right pwm switch and hope it's that. Any suggestions or things I may have missed??

Replies14
  1. #1Hondaracing022025-01-26 03:05

    Is it possible that the wires going to computer are worn or rubbing, shorting out the sensor reading?

  2. #2zlssefi2025-01-26 06:23

    It is possible. I'm going to check the harness to the ecu monday as well as unplug the pwm switch. That's the only part of the flow chart I didn't get to on friday.

  3. #3zlssefi2025-01-27 14:33

    Still fighting this issue. I checked the oil pressure sensor wires and get good readings from the sensor to the controller. I also tested them with a incandescent test light and they load test good. I did find one rub in the harness and repaired it with no change in the 04-21 code. When I plug my Amazon sensor in I get output voltage of .95 with key on, engine off. Bobcat sensor shows 7.75 output voltage,key on engine off. How can the two sensors be so different and why does the Amazon sensor not throw the code when the bobcat one does instantly. Any ideas?

  4. #4Hondaracing022025-01-27 22:09

    I’m just tossing out ideas here and may not be much help. Is it possible dealer gave you a sensor from the newer series kubota that was in the later s185’s? Whereas yours is an early gen? Not sure if they are different sensors or not. But that could be why the Amazon one is so different also maybe? Amazon makes me nervous with that stuff, I can’t believe any of that is built to spec when it comes to sensors, whether pressure or temp.

  5. #5zlssefi2025-01-27 22:12

    I did call the dealer and verified that I had the correct sensor. Unfortunately I think the only thing left is the controller, all 1400 bucks worth of it....

  6. #6Hondaracing022025-01-27 22:24

    Just to confirm -You hooked up a manual guage and know the pressure is good- with the Amazon sensor it lasts 3 hours then give low oil pressure warning. Oem sensor it doesn’t last one second and it comes on? I’m not convinced it’s controller, but I’m naive in this category. The controlling is recognizing something different between the two sensors; but not seeing the readings it wants and setting off the warning -don’t bet on what I’m telling you tho, it’s entirely possible it is the controller, just seems goofy that it’s lasting without warning on the Amazon sensor. 3 hours is well into warmup tho and then some though… did you test oil pressure both cold and warm manually? There is a company called isocell that repairs those controllers for just over half the price of an Oem new one.

  7. #7zlssefi2025-01-28 05:44

    Yes, I hooked up a manual guage and verified pressures. Cold at idle I have 50 psi and 70 psi at high rpm. When the light triggers with the 04-21 code which is oil psi out of range high i have 45 psi hot at high rpm and 35 at idle. And yes key on engine off just hooking up the bobcat sensor i get code 04-21 instantly.

  8. #8Samarskii_ma2025-01-28 05:56

    send serial PM, i'll looking service manual for it

  9. #9zlssefi2025-01-28 05:57

    Thank you! Serial: 519031719

  10. #10Samarskii_ma2025-01-28 06:08

    Check PM

  11. #11zlssefi2025-01-28 06:48

    Im still suspect of the oil pressure sensor seeing as it gives out a completely different signal voltage than the amazon sensor with key on, engine off. I did check it against another bobcat sensor and they read the same. What are the chances of getting two bad oem sensors?

  12. #12Simon C2025-01-28 19:41

    Not likely, but the company I worked for bought 3 Diodes for a Cat 3408 fuel solenoid, all three were bad and still in the bag. Brought back and Dealership asked if we metered them. Yes we did with fluke 87 meter. Brought their mechanic out and he verified they were all no good. Checked the remaining stock, all the rest in stock were no good either. It does happen. Could take air with a regulator and increase pressure on pressure switch while watching a meter, preferably an analog meter with sweeping needle as they use more power to test. This could tell if switches are working or not. Simon C

  13. #13zlssefi2025-01-28 19:47

    Well, I was partially right. I took the new sensor and plugged it into my other machine and wouldn't you know it the same code set. I decided to check the pin out of the new sensor and some genius at danfoss or bobcat decided to switch the power and ground pin on the new sensor. I swapped those two wires In the weatherpack and the code has disappeared.

  14. #14Simon C2025-01-28 19:50

    Refer back to post #13. Sometimes I am correct. Faulty parts. Good you can fix. Keep us posted. Simon C