Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 246

gasser001 ยท 2024-10-28 13:36

I have a Cat 246 skid steer that has a couple of problems. Problem #1, when running, the grapple bucket would start to open and you'd have to roll the thumb wheel to keep it closed. The work ports for the grappler and auger use were working. One day, the auger turned really slow, then not at all. I found the thumbwheel switch spring to be rusted on one side so I replaced it. Now the thumbwheel is centered( which is probably why the grappler would start to open on its own) But now, there is no work using the thumbwheel. I suspected worn sealing rings on the servos but they seem to be intact. I thought the solenoids to activate the work servos weren't working so I checked the fuses and relays. (Will be checking if it receives electrical power today) Problem #2, I noticed oil coming out of the right joy stick housing and see that there's oil leaking from the hydraulic distributor. I'm in the process of taking the joy stick assembly out of the housing to see where the oil is leaking from before I do, anyone have had this oil leak from the joy stick and what was done to remedy the problem? The serial # is 246C5S206447

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2024-10-28 13:44

    There are at least a dozen models of 246. Which one do you have.? Please start by quoting a Serial Number. Once that information has been supplied then answers to your quesitons will start to come........

  2. #2Nige2024-10-29 04:26

    I'll tackle this one first. Click this LINK , it will take you to a thread by @ThreeCW which tells you everything you need to know regarding resealing a joystick pilot valve. Regarding the thumbwheel the first thing should be to measure the voltage output by back probing the connector directly under the joystick. Measure the output voltage with the wheel in the centre and at both extremes and post your results. Also as a double check I suggest to unplug the connector and double check the 8v supply to the thumb roller switch with the key on. The schematic is on the way. Check your message inbox.

  3. #3gasser0012024-11-03 12:55

    the complete serial number is CAT00246C5SZ06447, I took out the right pilot valve and found the solenoid 195-9700 completely rusted so I replaced it and that solved the oil leak. Took the thumbwheel switch apart and found one return spring totally rusted and the magnet also corroded to where small bits were cracking off. Does anyone know the part number of the thumbwheel magnetic switch? I'd like to replace it to continue testing the system.

  4. #4Nige2024-11-03 13:10

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the thumbwheel roller switch is not available separately, only as part of a replacement joystick handle. Check out this thread. It may give you a few ideas. Cat 226b thumb wheel switch replacement Has anyone found an aftermarket thumb wheel switch that works on a cat 226b skid steer it's on the right joystick . Mine has gone completely missing and the replacement is cost too much. Is there any alternative switch that can work in its place to get the auxiliary working again. Even the the... HeavyEquipmentForums