Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 brakes

check ยท 2021-11-08 18:17

My 2001 Cat 246 A5SZ04xxx has about 5K hours and the brakes don't hold on hills. I suppose the discs are worn out, maybe springs too. Has anyone here replaced brakes on these? Do you have to disassemble the drive motor? I have a parts manual for this but it doesn't show a breakdown of the drive motor or brakes.

Replies3
  1. #1heymccall2021-11-08 21:35

    Looks like they load opposite the planetaries. Do the brakes hold with the machine off?

  2. #2check2021-11-09 06:58

    No, they don't hold on hills when engine is off. Looks from the pics that I might be able to loosen the end bolts evenly to release the springs. I wonder if the springs would stay in position while horizontal going back together.

  3. #3Nige2021-11-09 10:24

    Even better to replace maybe 4 out of the 12 botls with lengths of threaded rod, spacers, and nuts/washers. That way you could remove all the remaining bolts and then slowly retract the cover on the studs until the spring pressure is completely released. Before doing any of that I suggest that you on check parts availability. According to what I see the brake parts (discs/plates/spring) are not available separately, at least not via the Cat parts system anyway. I may be wrong but I think these are Rexroth (A6?) motors. There may be a plate somewhere on the motors with more detail.