Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 Broken Connector to Solenoid on Joystick

01Time ยท 2021-09-06 20:20

S/N 5SZ0xxxx There's a two pin female Deutsch connector to what I'm guessing is a solenoid (looks to be 195-9700 ) that is mounted to the right hand joystick (bucket control) that I need to replace. I'm guessing the fire I had a while back made it brittle and when I removed the assembly to replace the melted housing (that I didn't replace at the time), I bumped it against the housing and it broke. So, I need help on a couple of things: It has a single allen cap bolt adjacent to it that I thought would release it, but it didn't. Any ideas on how this part is removed? Just brute force outward? Should I expect hydraulic fluid to come pouring out? And finally, there are two Deutsch male connectors and another female Deutsch connector to go with the broken female connector on the solenoid. Suggestions as to which goes where (A to C and B to D or A to D and B to C)?

Replies15
  1. #1Chrisso2021-09-07 10:14

    Is yours a 5SZ1-3999 or a 5SZ4000-up? There's two elec and hyd schematics to choose from.

  2. #201Time2021-09-07 10:23

    Full serial number is 5SZ07867. Both of the connectors have orange/yellow wires and originate from the same group of wires entering the housing. But one of the pairs is longer than the other...so would it be safe to assume that the longer wires are meant for the furthest receptacle?

  3. #301Time2021-09-07 11:19

    And I'm guessing that the removal process is: (1) perform the hydraulic system pressure release procedure, (2) remove the hex cap head bolt and flange [already done], then (3) pull on the solenoid to get it out, and have rags and absorbent ready for any spillage?

  4. #401Time2021-09-07 15:49

    That's kinda got me thinking...both plugs do the exact same thing, supply power to the control -> one is for the buttons on the joystick and the other controls the solenoid -> so theoretically, either can be plugged in both?

  5. #5Chrisso2021-09-08 06:21

    Nothing more to it than this... Brute force will do in your case, I'm guessing you're replacing it? As for oil coming out, yes probably, but looking at your damage from the fire probably not much. Under normal circumstances you'd shut off, release system pressure as per the OMM, lay a bunch of rags under it and just pull it out. I can see why you asked the question... I can't answer with any great degree of certainty. In relation to your "A" plug, the hyd schematic calls this solenoid a work tool interlock solenoid, elec schematic calls this an implement pilot solenoid and tells us it's p/n 159-0748 (which is completely incorrect for your s/n). SIS lists this correctly as 195-9700 Valve GP-Solenoid but lists its description incorrectly as "(12-VOLT)(SPEED & Direction)" on the RHS joystick pictures . It's just an on/off 12v solenoid so if you guess and guess wrong, you shouldn't damage anything. If you want to be absolutely certain, remove interlock ECM plugs and beep test the pin no's using the schematic. Maybe someone else can see something I can't?

  6. #601Time2021-09-08 09:42

    Alrighty, thank you! Looks like Cat has the part in stock and I'll be picking it up today or tomorrow. Thanks again!

  7. #7kshansen2021-09-08 12:49

    As to the two connectors "C" and "D" are there numbers on the wires themselves? I'll try attaching a section of the schematic that shows the right joystick wiring, might help explain the wiring. Note that the colors in the schematic are not the colors of the wires, they indicate other things. If you look at the wires directly above the word "RIGHT" at the bottom the P988 should be the number on wire, "OR" means Orange, "WH" means white and 18 would be the gauge. So if that is what you see on your machine you can see that the orange and white wires go into the harness and connect with the same terminals "5 and 6" in the eight conductor plug/receptacle # 3E3388.

  8. #801Time2021-09-08 15:58

    Thanks for the wiring info. My machine is an hour and a half away and I'm planning on going out there on Friday. I'll check to see if I can find any numbers on the wiring.

  9. #9Chrisso2021-09-08 16:06

    Yes sorry that's the first question I should've asked. I figured that'd already been checked and numbers missing/worn off.

  10. #1001Time2021-09-08 16:19

    No worries. I'll be completely surprised if the printing is still on the wires...

  11. #1101Time2021-09-10 19:39

    Neither set of wires had any printing on them. I plugged the longer pair into the new solenoid and the shorter pair to the hanging plug. Fired it up and everything worked. Thanks @Chrisso and @kshansen for the help!

  12. #12kshansen2021-09-10 19:47

    Glad to hear it's working, any chance I could borrow it this weekend?

  13. #1301Time2021-09-10 19:49

    Sure!

  14. #14kshansen2021-09-11 09:20

    Central Texas, must be near Abilene? Google maps says I can be there in 24 hours. My 2011 Rav4 should be able to handle that trailer and 246 just fine for a short run right? Or at travel speed of the 246 I could do it in about 220 hours!

  15. #1501Time2021-09-11 10:21

    A bit further south...about an hour southwest of Austin. Safe travels!