Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246 control valve leaking

Cozmo · 2018-05-06 17:30

The direction valve on a 246 I'm working on is leaking out the top and I'm having a hard time finding the right seal kit for it. It's leaking from between the plunger and brass bushing. The serial number is 5sz01322. The parts guy can't seem to find the right kit

Replies12
  1. #1Mark2502018-05-07 01:17
  2. #2heymccall2018-05-07 07:11

    "We" believe that rather than buying the over $100 #7 listed above, that you can buy the seal listed in post #4 here HeavyEquipmentForums Certainly, it is worth a shot.

  3. #303hdrk2018-05-08 23:56

    I did not get to order these to confirm they are the same, as mentioned in the linked thread. Let us know if they are the same. If not, the place I got mine from has the ones I used in stock.

  4. #4Cozmo2018-05-09 09:19

    I ordered 4 of part number 094-0876 and put them in yesterday. No leaks so far I need to do a full service before the machine does any real work but I doubt ill have any problems. Took 30 minutes to swap everything out you'll need a set of picks to pull the old seals and install the new ones and be careful pulling the brass bushing two of them have springs and guide rods under them. Thanks for the help $18 in seals really beats a new control valve

  5. #5check2018-05-09 09:31

    My god! A 246 that's even older than mine. Thanks for the info. It seems nothing with serial numbers before 5sz1 is recognized by Cat.

  6. #6Nige2018-05-09 10:28

    I always thought that the 5SZ-prefix was the first ever 246 model Cat produced (1999-on)..? What S/N do you have..?

  7. #7check2018-05-09 10:38

    Mine is 5sz04104.... 2001 model I think. I have never been able to find any parts, operators or service manuals on ebay for machines before 5sz1.

  8. #8Nige2018-05-09 11:07

    5SZ1, or to be more correct 5SZ00001, was the first built. So your machine with S/N 4104 is later than that. I’ll do some digging and get back to you.

  9. #9check2018-05-09 12:23

    Thanks, I took it literally, that zero comes before one. It takes a Cat man to know how the numbers run. So I guess all those manuals labeled "5sz1 and up" actually do apply to my old skid steer.

  10. #10Nige2018-05-09 13:16

    Here's what's available for 5SZ04104. CD versions are - O&M Manual $41.99, Parts Manual $88.41, Service Manual $391.76. Paper ones are more. https://servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=5SZ04104

  11. #11heymccall2018-05-09 15:37

    I'll bury this here AVSPARE .com I registered there for free years ago. Put in model number, pick prefix, then scroll down next page to "information", pick your system, then subsystem. Many of my "repair" instructions come from there. Further up the page, you can go into parts. I've been reluctant to post this, because I feared that it may get shut down if enough people know of it.

  12. #12check2018-05-31 20:15

    I bought a set of 094-0876 seals and they fit my 246A, about 5 bucks each. My universal joint with the integral plate that contacts the 4 plungers was slap worn out so I bought another one for $167. Question for guys who have done this before: How do you shim the universal joint so that there is no creep or brake release when joystick is not touched?