Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 246b electrical fail

Mar Ha · 2021-05-04 18:03

My trusty cat 246b has run fine for years, parked it w/o incident Fri nite but in morning no juice. key turn is dead. battery voltage good, cleaned terminals just be sure. no lights, no start. wondering about relays or fuse, but my book says fuseblock on wall behind seat (nothing on wall). there are several relays and a circuit breaker in engine compartment, but i have no elec schematic to know what to check. Any ideas?

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2021-05-04 20:38

    If you want an Electrical Schematic we need a Serial Number first in order to get the right one..............

  2. #2Mar Ha2021-05-05 14:59

    CAT0246BAPAT00352 There is a terminal high in engine bay (next to relay bank) rt side with several lg red wires attatched - I do show 12V to battery ground, but unclear on relays/other terminals that might give me a clue on where I am losing voltage. thanks

  3. #3Nige2021-05-05 15:40

    Check your PM's.

  4. #4Mar Ha2021-05-05 16:50

    PM's? you mean preventative maint?

  5. #5Nige2021-05-05 17:23

    Private messages ..........

  6. #6mg23612021-05-06 05:16
  7. #7Vetech632021-05-06 07:50

    Sorry man, but I found this hilarious this morning!

  8. #8Mar Ha2021-05-06 15:51

    Got it, thx Been in service my whole life, the pm jargon is clearly still with me.. Downloaded the doc pkg, thanks for that. Will check into it this wkend. I do not see clear callout of each relay function (ie. main pwr A, B, C, D - without more detail, so I will have to put on my decoder ring to separate funtions for ea. This is a big help, thanks again.

  9. #9Nige2021-05-06 16:08

    Just sent you something else. It might help.

  10. #10Nick Roach2023-02-17 18:39

    I’m having the same issue could someone please help?

  11. #11mks2023-02-17 19:09

    See Second post

  12. #12Nige2023-02-17 19:37

    As mentioned above........ PAT-prefix. Electrical schematic sent.

  13. #13Steve Frazier2023-02-17 23:12

    I don't know if these machines are similar but my 248 has a main breaker in it, if it pops the machine is dead. I've only had it happen once and I have no idea why but if I remember correctly it is in the engine compartment high left on the firewall. On my machine the air filter housing hides it.

  14. #14ThreeCW2023-02-18 02:22

    My 242B also has a circuit breaker located on the upper left side of the engine compartment. The Operation and Maintenance Manual states "Press the switch and release the switch in order to reset the circuit breaker". The fuse panel in mine is located behind a metal cover just below the front of the seat.

  15. #15Jon cloke1012024-12-28 05:53

    Hi, I have a similar issue with an early 246 serial number:5SZ02652. Would you be able to help me get a wiring diagram or even a fuse box diagram as the cover is missing and someone has cut and spiced wires everywhere! Thanks

  16. #16Nige2024-12-28 23:30

    Done.

  17. #17ldickens72025-08-05 20:56

    I'm having the same issue. Serial number: CAT0246BHPAT01603. I have voltage across the breaker. All of my fuses tested good. Any suggestions?

  18. #18Nige2025-08-06 03:49

    Check your messages.