Just bought a new to me cat 246b with 2840 hours runs good but the engine coolant light decided to come on when i started the engine with it being 30*f outside cold start. The light preceded to go off then be barely light, slightly dim the whole time driving the skid steer. The coolant level is good engine doesn’t seem hot and no lose of coolant or mixing coolant. Thanks in advance.
Did you check the coolant level in the overflow bottle or did you make the radiator level and remove the top rad cap to check the coolant level. Has to be checked at the rad cap. Are the belts tight and sitting ok in pulleys. Is there any codes on the display. Might be an idea to post your serial number. Simon C
Coolant level is just a hair under max cold, was running the skid steer for two hours and didn’t want to open rad cap was afraid to get sprayed, no codes on display either. I will check the belt but how does that affect the light generally don’t know I’m clueless in cat machines. Serial number is pat02704 Here’s a video
But where.? In the overflow bottle or by removing the rad cap when cold.? See Simon C's post above. Does the light ever go out or does it remain like the video shows all the time the engine is running.? There may be an issue with the coolant temp sensor connections, the wiring from the sensor to the monitor panel in the cab, or even the sensor ground. If you have just bought this machine and plan on doing your own maintenance an O&M Manual would be a good investment. A pdf copy can be downloaded for $52 from the Cat Pubs web site. Search for SEBU7731. It's strange to me that people are selling used manuals (not even the latest vcersion either) on eBay at a higher price than you can buy a new one from Cat. I guess there must be a fool born every minute.
I will definitely buy a manual, the coolant bottle is full at just a hair under max cold level. I will have to check the rad fluid level in the am as I was running the machine for a couple hours. The light came on today with an audible beep on a cold start for about 2 min then no light at all. After driving around for about 15 min the light came on faintly then went away for about 10 min then came on faintly towards the end of me using the skid steer and didn’t go away but it’s not fully lit or doing an audible beep sound. The light is just faint enough to see.
Check the level in the radiator when the engine is cold. There are two methods depending on whether the engine model is a 3024 or 3034. See the attachment, which came from the O&M Manual BTW.
Will do, thank you for the help. I’ll look at it tomorrow and go from there is the temp sensor in an easy location to get to if it comes down to it.
I'd also shoot it with a temp sensor gun just below the thermostat if your able to see if it's really hot or just giving you an indication....then proceed with further troubleshooting.
That’s a good shout I will do that, any idea what the temp range should kinda be around?
Normally it should be around 185-195, maybe even a bit more, provided the thermostat is working correctly.
Any time an overheat light appears, especially quickly, always verify it's actually running hot with a temp gun. 3 machines in the last 3 weeks were throwing temp lights, 2 were sensors only one was actually running hot.
Just checked the coolant in the radiator, it was full the the cap, fan is a little loose will end up tightening that and then also getting a temp gun to see what temp the engine and radiator are at.
When it was fully warmed up in my eyes after 30 min of running and the light appeared again i went to feel the radiator and hoses before and after the thermostat and they were all not boiling my hand.
May be a bad thermostat. Where is the temp sender? Right above the thermostat housing?
Looks to be right on the side of the thermostat housing
Could be your thermostat then.
He says they were ALL not boiling his hand. This would point to a sensor with a intermittent problem or a harness problem. Could easily be tested with a bulb- test lamp set up to prove harness good. How much does the sensor cost. Simon C
The high coolant temp warning light is not activated by a sender/sensor but by an NO switch that closes when the temperature reaches a certain value. Note where wire #406 inputs to the warning light module. I would say do a simple test first. Unplug the 2-pin connector E-C4 at the switch. Does the light go out completely.? If it does then you have a malfunctioning switch.
Thanks for clarifying the exact way that the warning lamp triggers Nige. I see from the schematic how the pin #3 goes into the computer. Always good to have someone checking on us. Simon C
I will give this a try thank you, really appreciate the help means a lot.
Duh, I just had to replace a temp sensor the other day.
well think I found my problem. I can pull the harness of the switch with ease and the switch has the little prongs to hold the harness end on. I really don’t want to go about replacing the whole harness for the one connection end. Does cat just sell the end that goes onto the switch?
You shouldn't have to. Post a photo of what you currently have for connector(s) on the end of the engine wiring harness.
The connector Part Number is a 100-3320, and the seal in the back side is 126-5011. However from your description I thiink that the problem lies in the two terminals inside the connector. To help identify the correct terminal, which of the illustrations below most closely reseomlbes what is inside that connector.?
I’ll have to check tomorrow what the inside looks like but after looking at the connector part number you sent me my connector didn’t have a little metal retaining clip
Yours should've had the metal retainer, that's probably why it unplugs so easy.
That’s what I’m thinking. It definitely was not there when I looked at the plug for the first time
Well definitely didn’t fix the problem light came on instant I started the engine ran it good for 45 min shut it down half the radiator was cold so I’m assuming everything works and it’s the plug no pushing coolant or anything like the engine was really hot. The light in those 45 min stayed on for about 10 then went off for a good 30 min then can back on last 5 min
Yeah problem still persists I’m debating changing the actual sensor now
I'm sorry but I think you are assuming wrong. IMHO 45 mins of working the machine should have had the complete cooling system includsing the radiator up to full operating temperature. Maybe first the functioning of the cooling system requires investigation rather than the sensor.? Also I think you would benefit from investing in an infra red thermometer so that you can shoot actual temperatures of the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, etc. One can be had for $20 or less.
Sorry I should rephrase it wasn’t cold where the fan blows on the rad was cool enough to touch by hand by on all edges and everywhere else the rad was hot. Which leads me to believe the water pump and thermostat should be working. Coolant is full to the brim in the rad and just by me turning the machine on the coolant overheating light should not be on and stay on when the engine is cold
But I will put a inra red on it and see if it reads anything above 200 or so
My 246B had the same issue, ended up being the temp sensor. Super easy to replace. Hope it's just that easy for you, as it was for me! Good luck.
I’m hoping too, can’t hurt at this point I guess
Maybe I missed it but I don't see it posted anywhere that you tried running the machine with the coolant temperature switch unplugged. If the light stays out with the switch unplugged then it's likely the switch. If it keeps coming on while unplugged I'd be looking in to a harness issue.
Yeah, I haven’t tried it yet because sometime when I start the machine the light never goes off for like 10 min then will flicker and go off until I turn the machine off and back on. Sometimes the light never comes on either
I had to replace the temperature sending unit on my Kubota a few months ago. Light was on constantly, buzzer wasn’t buzzing, just for a second. Unplugged first and light went out. Seemed to OHM fine but still had to replace and all is well now.
Just ordered one , also going to unplug sometime soon when the weather isn’t crap in Wisconsin.