Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246B Oil Cap And Coolant Lamp

gokeeper ยท 2011-02-03 09:51

I have a Cat 246B, Having a problem keeping the oil cap on the machine. It seams every few days the oil cap is off resting on top of the Fuel/Water separator. I bought anew one thinking the ribber was worn but this one blows off also. When you put it on it seams pretty snug? Any Ideas? Also intermittently i get the high temperature light. Usually when its first started. Recently we have had highs of around 5F, I am starting to think the sensor is going bad? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1JeremiahSr2011-02-03 13:15

    Sometimes them little perkins engines build alot of crank case pressure. There is a breather on the valve cover and then a hose. If these are semi-plugged the excess pressure will push the cap or the dip stick out.

  2. #2gokeeper2011-02-03 13:44

    I am familiar with the vent on the valve cover didn't think to see if it were plugged do you know if it just leads below the motor like most vents or does it connect to something ( should i be able to pull it out to check it)

  3. #3JeremiahSr2011-02-03 14:10

    heres a break down