Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 246B VS CAT 242D

charles walton · 2022-01-29 15:25

I'm looking at two used skid steers trying to decide which to buy,I will be using it for general skidsteer duties and loading logs. Both of these machines have 2000lb load capacity,lets discuss which one I would be best off with,thanks

Replies12
  1. #1Chrisso2022-01-29 17:26

    If the D series has the advanced display it can make troubleshooting electrical faults easier. It's also newer... 2004ish vs 2014ish... better chance of parts availability. But I'm no operator.

  2. #2charles walton2022-01-30 08:28

    I tend to disagree that more technology is better.

  3. #3Nige2022-01-30 09:52

    Only if you’re not competent to work with it IMHO. YMMV.

  4. #4charles walton2022-01-30 13:28

    I don't think most owner operators have the equipment to work on the computers.

  5. #5Nige2022-01-30 13:39

    With the newer models with the diagnostics built into the monitor panel 95% of the electronic diagnostics can be done with nothing more complicated than a DMM. It's only when you get into TiER 4 Final emissions engines that things start to get murky.

  6. #6Nige2022-01-30 14:08

    The 246B on the other hand will need ET to get into the Diagnostic side because the monitor panel is so simplistic it has no capability whatsoever. That’s probably why the Cat SSL range evolved from the earlier models to the D Series with more on-board diagnostics.

  7. #7charles walton2022-01-30 15:44

    That's my problem,I am old school manual machine savvy,but totally ignorant on the modern technology. I have heard that the 246b is "simple and robust" and virtually bullet proof and that sounds good to me.

  8. #8Nige2022-01-30 15:54

    I wouldn't go so far as to say simple. The B Series uses a pilot hydraulic system and, for the time they were built, quite advanced electronics. The downside is that the 246B, despite the fact that it has quite advanced electronics for a machine pushing 20 years of age, has a Monitor Panel so simplistic that nothing can be done with it (diagnostically-speaking) without resorting to using a laptop computer, Communication Adapter, and ET. In comparison on the newer D model the diagnostics are right there on the Monitor Panel in front of the operator. TBH I would say that if you are not comfortable with at least some level of electronics then a Cat skidsteer of any vintage is not the droid you should be on the lookout for.

  9. #9charles walton2022-01-30 18:58

    I bought a 226 brand new back in 2000,I like the Cats,I still have it sitting here with a large hole in the block,if the 246b is a similar machine minus the PERKIPILLAR engine I think I'll be fine.

  10. #10charles walton2022-01-30 19:50

    So,Nige,are you saying that you think I would be better off with the 242D for the uses that I have?

  11. #11charles walton2022-01-31 16:19

    Well,after a little more questioning the 242 turned out to be a 2003 model and not a D series so I'm not sure but I think it has the same Perkipillar 3034c that my 226 has,and if my research is correct the 246b has the 3044T from mitsubishi heritage, so I am thinking it would probably be the better unit for my use since it is also a heavier tractor.

  12. #12Tyler d4c2022-01-31 18:16

    Seems everyone had or has one with a nice hole in the block.