Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246c 2 speed not working

Nathanb113 · 2022-11-09 20:25

I just got a 2010 cat 246c 2 speed. When i flip aux7 switch to rabbit mode nothing happens. I get no light on the gauge cluster. I looked in the fuse panel behind the seat and could not find a fuse for rabbit mode. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2022-11-10 06:05

    2-speed is engaged by pressing the top of switch #5, then press the trigger on the LH joystick. Is that what you are doing.?

  2. #2Nathanb1132022-11-10 06:23

    Yes switch #5 and the the left hand joy stick trigger. No change is speed

  3. #3Nige2022-11-10 07:03

    OK, your first post wasn't too clear. Please post the machine Serial Number. It'll be JAYxxxxx but there are three ranges of S/N when it comes to electrics. Maybe you're going to need an electrical schematic and have to go chasing power somewhere.

  4. #4Nathanb1132022-11-10 07:42

    Serial # ends in JAY04387

  5. #5Nige2022-11-10 08:40

    Thanks. I just wanted to check that it was built with 2-speed because not all machines had that option. I'll send you an electrical schematic. First things I would suggest to check are the operation of the multifunction switch #5 and the LH joystick trigger.

  6. #6Nathanb1132022-11-10 13:16

    I got the electrical skimatic, how do i check the opperation of switch #5 and joystick trigger?

  7. #7Chrisso2022-11-10 16:30

    Easiest way would be to see if the trigger works the AUX7 function, but you'll obviously need to plug in a work tool to check that. If you don't have a suitable work tool you can refer to the schematic you have, get out your multimeter and check continuity between #10 & #7. It should change when you hit the trigger... Also, check you have power to the 2-speed solenoid (backprobe with spoons if possible) when you pull the trigger. Also check wiring to that solenoid for rubbing/damage...

  8. #8Chrisso2022-11-10 17:21

    Better still, forget everything I said in the first paragraph. Jump in machine, start it up. Flick the rabbit switch to AUX7. Pull trigger a few times. Should get loud audible clicking sound from the AUX5 relay behind you in the fuse box. Now flick the switch back to rabbit mode. Release park brake. Pull trigger. Rabbit icon should light up on the screen. If this all happens, switch and trigger are working perfectly. Time to lift cab and check the solenoid/wiring as I stated above.

  9. #9Nathanb1132022-11-16 07:58

    Sorry its been a few days since ive been able to mess with the machine. Machine on, switch flipped to aux7 no audible clicking from any relays when trigger is pulled. Flipped to rabbit mode no icon on the screen. How do i check the switch is getting power?

  10. #10Chrisso2022-11-16 17:13

    In your schematic the Rabbit/AUX7 rocker switch is disguised as... P813 Yellow wire is an output of this switch and controls the work tool relay I previously mentioned. P982 is an output of this switch and runs straight to the machine ECM and tells the ECM two speed is selected. If there's no rabbit icon and no relay clicking, that would lead me to the P814 Blue wire. This P814 Blue wire is the supply (in the form of a switched ground) to this switch and comes straight from the trigger on the LHS joystick as mentioned in post #8. First thing I'd do is swap the worktool relay to make sure there's nothing silly going on. Then, pull the switch, you're looking to check for ground at pin 2 at the switch whenever the trigger is depressed. If your not getting that, go down to the joystick and check for ground there (pin #10 on the 12-pin plug). If there's no ground coming out of the #10 wire at the joystick, check that the trigger is getting ground in at pin #7. If you're getting ground in and no ground out when pulling the trigger, replace the joystick handle.

  11. #11Nathanb1132023-05-29 11:22

    So when machine is on, switch 5 flipped to aux 7, and press the trigger i get an audible click from relay in fuse box. I have good ground between the two blue wires when trigger is depressed. I still do not have rabbit icon on dash.

  12. #12Chrisso2023-05-29 12:05

    Now I’m confused. Did this change? If so I think we’re chasing multiple issues and I’m kind of wondering what is the overall state/condition of these harnesses.

  13. #13Nathanb1132023-05-29 12:45

    I did not do anything, i must not have been listening very carefully before, but i do infact hear a click when trig is pulled. Nothing has been changed so far

  14. #14Schroeder 682024-08-04 22:43

    I am having the same problem on my 279c it will work sometimes then it won’t work for awhile

  15. #15Nige2024-08-05 02:46

    You’re going to have to start with a Serial Number because the electrical schematic for your machine will be a different document to the one that started this thread. Also a bit of background info as to how you got to the situation you are now in would help.

  16. #16Schroeder 682024-08-05 10:19

    Mbt02890

  17. #17Schroeder 682024-08-05 10:20

    It was working about a week ago and then it stopped, I got it to work again by double clicking the trigger, I hooked up an attachment to the hydraulics and now I can’t get it to work

  18. #18Nige2024-08-05 12:22

    The troubleshooting procedure is exactly the same as for the OP with his 246C machine. Even the electrical schematic (I'll send you a copy) is the same. Follow the instructions posted above by @Chrisso and see where it gets you.

  19. #19Schroeder 682024-08-05 12:37

    Could it be the switch on the joy stick ?

  20. #20Schroeder 682024-08-05 12:53

    I am gettin the clicking sound from the relay when I flipped the switch to aux 7 but still no rabbit icon pops up