Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 246C Oil Sample Port

Broken Again · 2021-10-24 10:28

I am trying to locate the engine oil sample port on this machine. The hydro port is easily seen but I cannot find the engine oil. If there is not one standard what is the best way to sample the engine oil? They say don’t pull it from the drain pan, and the dip stick tube seems pretty long and curved to fish a tub down to pump without getting some contamination. Can you add a port, if so where does it go? If someone has photos that would be helpful. Thank you!

Replies1
  1. #1Nige2021-10-24 10:44

    According to the O&M Manual (which I assume you have) - "Obtain the oil sample of the engine oil through the opening for the dipstick". TBH the dipstick tube is likely not to have anything in it apart from engine oil that has splashed up from the crankcase. There is nowhere on the oil filter head to install a test port. This would be the normal location for an oil sample port. I think that if there was a location on the block with a plug of the appropriate thread to suit a sample port the factory would've already installed one.