Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246C parking break won’t release

bradknows · 2018-06-23 17:58

Have 500 hrs on machine and the operator warning light flashes when the key is turned on and the parking brake won’t release. Seatbelt light goes off and the bucket controls work, but won’t drive

Replies25
  1. #1mikebramel2018-06-24 22:25

    Do you have controls for the loader and when you try to move the engine pulls down? would lead you towards a problem with the brake solenoid/wiring

  2. #2bradknows2018-06-24 23:27

    When I push the parking brake release switch it releases the lock on bucket control, but the parking brake light stays on and the drive joystick doesn’t do anything.

  3. #3Nyemane Nthanogelang2019-11-14 03:37

    am having this problem with my 246c loader

  4. #4Jorgeone2022-06-15 12:10

    Hi I'm having the same problem with the same machine I see you posted this a few years ago Did you manage to get it fixed

  5. #5Süleyman2022-06-16 06:44

    I think right. In addition, the travel system on the machine If there is an electrical problem with the control unit, it may not allow travel and activate the parking brake. If this is not the case, there may be a problem with the parking brake solenoid valve or the cables going to the solenoid valve.

  6. #6shenlgu zhou2023-04-27 04:06

    Hi guys, have you fix this problem? I have the sam issue

  7. #7Kevin Finley2023-04-27 08:16

    I had a similar issue with my 262c and it was a left joystick sensor remedied by replacing the joystick. Best bet is to pull codes and see what you're working with before dropping $550 on a joystick assembly

  8. #8Nige2023-04-27 09:16

    A Serial Number would help to identify a procedure to get into the Diagnostic Codes and procedure(s) to test in order to identify the problem.

  9. #9shenlgu zhou2023-04-27 09:52

    JAY021xx. No active codes at all, parking break switch, solenoid were tested, all good. Flash file updated brake solenoid remains won’t work.

  10. #10shenlgu zhou2023-04-27 10:01

    before this problem, my 246c can be started by turn the key to “on”position first, then turn to “start” position. The problem of this time, not only blocks the parking break solenoid, but also disable the start solenoid, I can only start the engine by turn the key to the start position directly without stay on the “on” position. After the new flash file installed, this start problem disappeared!

  11. #11Nige2023-04-27 15:52

    What "updated" software Part Number was installed.? Does the exclamation point warning on the panel flash when you attempt to release the parking brake, or at any other point for that matter.? What resistance did you measure in the solenoid coil for the park brake valve.?

  12. #12shenlgu zhou2023-04-27 23:44

    I took a photo after local cat technicians completed the flashing, nice folks they are. They said the flash file Number should be 3210051, but finished with 4420047(see attached photo), which I didn’t noticed at cat’s office. The nice technician told me that based on the warning message, the problem would be a short circuit between parking brake’s two wires, and there should be “park brake solenoid voltage low” warning when I turn on this 246C. There is no warnings after this reflashed ECM was restored.

  13. #13shenlgu zhou2023-04-27 23:58

    When the parking release switch is pressed, the “ work tool system” red light turn off, no other things happen as I noticed. The resistance of the parking brake solenoid is tested 6 ohms. I tried to apply a 12 volts battery on this solenoid, I can hear clearly the “ta” sound come from the solenoid position. The so called short circuit mentioned above is inside the ECM.

  14. #14Nige2023-04-28 00:14

    4420047 is the absolute latest available. 3210051 is 12 (yes I did say TWELVE) generations old......... By any chance was the photo below showing 26 Active Diagnostic Codes taken while the ECM had been removed from the machine for flashing.? Has ET been hooked up to the Machine ECM since it was reinstalled to check for any Actrive Codes or Events.?

  15. #15shenlgu zhou2023-04-28 00:46

    Yes the photo was taken while ECM was been removed from machine.

  16. #16shenlgu zhou2023-04-28 00:47

    photo taken after start

  17. #17shenlgu zhou2023-04-28 00:48

    Photo taken after parking brake release button pressed

  18. #18shenlgu zhou2023-04-28 00:48
  19. #19Nige2023-04-28 10:03

    So again he asks, have you done this.?

  20. #20shenlgu zhou2023-04-28 10:36

    No. Since there’s no warning light, I didn’t install the ET to see the active code. I bought a adapter come together with a 2019 ET copy, it has to be reinstalled each time because it expired within hours

  21. #21Nige2023-04-28 11:17

    There can be Codes present without any indication on the panel. Strange I know but it can happen. So until you do get ET hooked up to it in order to see what's happening in the way of Codes/Events you are literally flying blind.

  22. #22Mark2502023-04-28 20:52

    my 2 cents worth. disconnect the aftermarket turbo timer and check again. i have seen them cause some strange problems over time

  23. #23shenlgu zhou2023-05-04 06:23

    Thanks for your low cost trying idea. I just completed an expansive one, bought and hook up a ECM and nothing happened except the parking brake light still threre!

  24. #24shenlgu zhou2023-05-04 06:25

    Still no active messages in ET .

  25. #25shenlgu zhou2023-05-10 09:18

    Finally it is the left joystick’s fault base sensor that caused my 246C park brake stay engaged. The tricky thing is that there is no alerts at all. But if study the joystick’s position value by percentage, it is abnormal. I confirm this issue by swapping left joystick base with right hand one. Park brake can be released right away, working cylinder keep extending while the joystick is in neutral position. This explains why the ECM won’t allow park brake been released, if not the fault joystick will continually send signal of wheeling even the joystick is untouched. No alarms for this fault, will need experiences to solve this issue. Technician from Caterpillar dealer should be quite familiar with this issue, it should be easy for them to identify this issue.