Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 246d …AC mystery…..

ivelookedinurbuttb4 ยท 2025-06-25 09:00

I've got a slow refrigerant leak in the AC system that I haven't been able to locate yet. I've ran freon with dye. I've traced the lines with no visible sign of dye (black light)or oil build up. The cooling fins on the door and the hoses are clean. * The only place i have not dug into is where the lines go under the floor board of the cab (in front of the high low ports). I haven't been able to find a diagram of what's in there, but it looks like there is access. I just need to remove all the clips to open it up. Is this a know problem area for leaks? Any advice? TIA BYF04657

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2025-06-25 10:20

    Go to avspare . com Put in your prefix (BYF) Then scroll down to operators station. Click and go to ac sections.

  2. #2ivelookedinurbuttb42025-06-25 12:54

    Thank you. Looks like it could definitely be a location for a possible leak.

  3. #3MFM Truck&Equipment2025-06-25 20:27

    Pressure testing with nitrogen works well, if you can get your hands on a bottle and regulator. Set the regulator to 300psi for r134a and use soapy water on everything. Look for the bubbles.

  4. #4Cmark2025-06-25 23:24

    Look where the hoses go through the protective sleeve at the rear door hinge point.

  5. #5ivelookedinurbuttb42025-06-26 08:20

    I checked there and everything looked clean and intact. Everything I can see in the engine compartment looks clean. No oily residue or dye. The only place I haven't dug into is the plastic case under the floor board. Is there a better way of getting into the case other than unclipping all the small metal clips around the case?