Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 90XT Hydraulic Problem, Looking For Advice

Junkyard4 · 2025-06-25 21:13

Hello, I’m new to this forum, I just bought a 2003 Case 90XT that runs great but doesn’t drive. The previous owner said he was using it and all of a sudden all 4 wheels locked up. My first thought was something to do with the parking brake system that appears to be a very common problem with these machines. The owner had no mechanical ability to fix it but he had a friend that was working on it for him. Apparently the friend passed away before he got it fixed and here we are today. I question the friend’s ability also because he left it with random hoses disconnected and oil drained out of the system. Also for some reason all the fuses and relays were missing. I reconnected all the hoses to their proper places and installed all fuses and relays. Also filled it back up with the case recommended hydraulic oil. It starts right up but none of the hydraulics do anything. Also the low hydraulic pressure light is lit up on the panel. My first question would be is there a way I can tell if the coupling between the engine and hydraulic pump is still good and actually turning the pump? I’ve heard of these going bad before. From there I can proceed with tracing down the problem, hopefully with help from you guys

Replies6
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-06-26 07:51

    Be good to post a serial number. Certainly sounds like your hydraulic coupling. If someone on here can direct you to a service manual, you should be good to go. While doing the coupling, consider on taking a good look at your bushings and anything else it may need, when you pull the engine out.

  2. #2Junkyard42025-06-26 08:25

    Jaf0236xxx How can I find out first before pulling anything? Is that how you change it? To pull the engine and pump out together? Or does just the engine come out and pump stays in the machine

  3. #3Junkyard42025-06-27 10:04

    I believe I found the problem. I took the gear pump off the end of the large pump after finding out no oil was coming out when running. I cranked the engine over and this shaft is not turning at all. I assume it’s the coupler between the engine and pump. Has anyone here had experience with a broken coupler? How do they brake? From pictures I’ve seen they look to be heavy duty steel.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-06-27 10:25

    Would need to see a bigger picture of where that is. It’s common to have more than one pump hooked up in a stack. I think you took off the charge pump, the coupler is between the engine and the first pump. I am not familiar with your model though.

  5. #5Junkyard42025-06-27 10:35

    All the picture is showing is that the shaft is not turning when the engine cranks over. Yes I took the gear pump off and that’s the shaft from the large pump that drives the gear pump. It’s the only way to check if the coupler is broken without taking off the large pump. I know where the coupler is but there’s no way to see it unless the engine and pump are separated. I wasn’t going to do all that work until I could verify that the shaft on the large pump is not turning.

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-06-27 10:45

    I figured that but I want a picture of the coupling area to see if it’s accessible. Some skid, the cab will tilt or there will be a panel you could take off to access the drive area. I would suggest looking for a service manual as no one has responded on here on how to change the coupling.