I have a 247B on rental purchase for a month to see if I like it, if I like it 75% of the rent will go towards the purchase price of $18,900. I really like the machine and it has proven to be very handy. I have some concerns mostly undercarriage, I feel like an CTL undercarriage would work better for us, but I need to be able to use this machine in the winter also and I understand that the ASV MTL bottom is better for that. Ive been using the machine for a bunch of work and I haven't experienced any bad yet, but from what I hear is that once things start to go bad, its very expensive. The attractive thing about this machine is that it only has 1100 hrs and I can pay for it outright. What are your thoughts here, should I let it go back and look for another machine, or roll with it as I know it will work for us, with the understanding that we will have to keep an eye on the bottom? I will try to get more pics tomorrow. for now this is all I have. Thanks!
I've owned several. A single owner/operator is the best, imo, for the delicate MTL undercarriage. Employees usually won't treat it like it should be treated. It can get very expensive, especially if you don't do any of the replacement labor yourself. The Perkins motor is a crap shoot, unless it's had the updated headgasket and/or pickup tube. Having said that, I really like CAT/ASV undercarriage though with the upgraded rollers made by Bair Industries. They do well in the snow, but you can get several different design of tracks for the CTL that will do as good in the snow. I was clearing 3 and 4' drifts of snow uphill with the Tak 120. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnayMF_QX5s Spent three days in it in the neighborhood several years back. Was able to put the plow 2' high and march right through it all...never got stuck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmGmffctSwE
For now I'm the only operator. I am looking for a helper right now, so likely they will be running it some also. If I buy it, I will replace with the metal rollers when needed.
I own the 257b, same machine basically little heavier. As far as the undercarriage yeh parts are pricey, but they don't just fall apart, abuse and non-maintenance is usually the culprit. I have had my undercarriage apart and the nice thing is that it is very simple to work on IMO. Try these folks out http://www.trackloaderparts.net/Caterpillar-257b-Repair-Parts.aspx they have a few different style bogie wheels with different prices, and are very helpful. Overall I really like my machine it has not let me down yet.
Any update about the pics of this machine? I don't always see this machine that's why I'm not familiar with this. I would like to take a look more pictures.
247 and 257 are a lot different.......radius lift vs vertical lift. Radius machines are better for a grading/digging operation and vertical lifts are a better lift and carry machine plain and simple. Pj
After owning asv's and now my mustang ( takeuchi). I prefer the tak undercarriage. The only thing it lacks is the soft ride but the susp seat eats up most the bumps. The undercarriage is bulletproof and with the right tracks it does amazing in snow. I plow all winter with it Zero maintainence unlike the asv. It's just tuff and the controls have no lag unlike the asv and cats do. I run an rc50 at work and while I like it the one I own is the tak
They're not that much different, same engine same undercarriage that was my point. You are correct about the different lift styles. I wrote the undercarriage is not hard to work on if one has a bit of mechanical ability, 247b and 257b undercarriage is the same.
The same undercarriage on the 247 sees much better life because it is 1000lbs lighter and doesn't have most I that weight over the *** end of the machine and the rear idlers.
If you look at it that way it sure could be true. BUT what if the 257b person takes care of their machine while 247b person beats the crap out of theirs The machines are engineered/built to perform a job, so far the 257b has not let me down, I'm just guessing here but the engineered 257b seems to be okay to me. I've read and heard lots of complaints about this machine or that, but through the years I've learned to take opinions with a grain of salt. Most of the time an opinion(especially negative) is shared by someone that never used ______machine or even seen one????
I'm not bashing the 257 or its performance. If it was a dog CAT would not sell so many of them. I'm just simply stating a fact that regardless of how an operator uses that machine it is still over 1,000lbs heavier. This will, by itself, with no influence by the operator have an impact on track and undercarriage life. Its a simple law of physics.
I agree Digdeep, I was just writing that there are hundreds of variables that come into play when figuring track wear. I didn't think you were bashing anything, and honestly a knowledgeable operator with proper maintenance in the long run makes the real difference.
No question. I'm a fan of the ASV undercarriage and own a RC50. A good operator is worth his weight in gold, regardless of brand. I've seen guys I sold Bobcats to run them into the ground in less than 1000hrs.
Well, I decided to pull the trigger and told the dealer I wanted the machine, I will be the only one running as it stands right now. Lots of helpful info from the posts its interesting the see the many different opinions! Where abouts are you at maddog? What are your conditions like that you work in?
Hey Nedly05, I just saw your "Adk. Mtns, NY" I missed that before. I'm at the bottom of the Adirondacks(fulton county), where are you at? For the most part I'm using mine in the woods/mud, but it does see some gravel on occasion. You'll get LOTS of varying opinions on the ASV style undercarriage, it's a love or hate view from what I've noticed. I like it because of the swampy conditions I seem to get myself into, and because of the easier ride.
Digdeep, I read ya loud and clear on bad operators, I've seen some weird stuff through the years. Sometimes I just grit my teeth and shake my head.
if your going to do the work on the undercarriage they make a nice tool to help with installing the track, http://www.trackloaderparts.net/ASV-SPECIALTY-TOOLS.aspx theres other tools too for more specific jobs but the track tool makes life a lot easier.
I'm in Essex county maddog. We have plenty of varying conditions here also. I used the machine last week on a couple demo jobs, it was great for keeping the job clean and not having to worry about flat tires! Thanks eric12, ill check out the tool!
247 pics As promised, here are a few pics of my 247. I'm really happy with it so far, the traction seems to be good and its pretty powerful. The UC seems to be pretty good as far as I can tell. The pins and bushings on the squirrel cage may need to be done, but it doesn't look like a huge job.
very nice
Thanks!