I just picked up a new-to me New Holland L190. The tires on it are just about done, so I was looking into replacements, but have a tire size question. The manual and my local NH dealer confirm the only factory tire was a 14x17.5, but the machine has 12x16.5's on it. I got it used, so no idea who / when / why the rims got swapped, but they seem not to be the ones they left the factory with. My intended use of the machine is forestry/land clearance work, so I would like to put steel over-tire tracks on the machine. When I looked at tracks for the 14" tire size I got quite the sticker shock, they are 50-100% more than the 12" sized tracks. The 12's in a 10 ply would seem to have enough load capacity for the loader (7700 lbs + 3000 ROC). So from that perspective I think it would be OK to stay with the 12's. Increased costs of the 14 tire and rims plus the huge cost difference on the tracks are making me think very seriously about staying with the 12 size tire. I know my travel speed will be a bit lower ( its a 1 speed machine), and the ground clearance will be a touch less. Is there anything else I'm missing on the 12 vs 14 decision?
jdonovan, I also have a new to me L190. I also use mine for land clearing work, grubbing and raking mesquite pastures. Mine came with the 14X17.5s that were well used. I bought new 12X16.5s and new rims and had them foam filled. Part of my reasoning was that I too wanted to buy some OTT tracks for my skid. There seems to be enough clearance between the tire and skid body that I won't have to use spacers when I add the tracks. This is important to me because if I have to use spacers my skid will not fit between the rails on my utility trailer. I really don't want to have to buy another trailer. So far I have really enjoyed the foam filled 12X16.5 tires. I have about 300 hrs on them so far. I used the skid for a while with the larger tires before changing to the 12X16.5s and I can't tell much difference as far as speed goes (mine is a 2 speed). Hope this helps, Tim
it does. I think the plan for now is to stay with the 12x16.5s. Need to pull a wheel and swap to the other side to see what clearance I can get, and if I need spacers for tracks. If I'm getting new tires, there is no cost to do a wheel side swap, and if it gives me the 3" I need for tracks then it saves me $400 in spacers. I've heard very mixed views on foam + tracks. So I think I'll skip foam, and go with slime, as I expect to put on tracks and don't want to tear up the tracks or tires when debris get stuck in the track and passed around a wheel with no give because it was foam filled.
Skip foam and skip slime. Texas refinery corp makes a tire sealant that is much better. Foam is rough riding. If you want the best tires buy Michelin Bibsteel All Terrains.
Do they make a track friendly foam? Last I heard that you should not do both due to the chance of some big stuff getting in your track & having some flexability of the tire and not breaking stuff. Twice I have busted the the actual "pad" of the Grouser brand track, 1 of them into about 5 pc.! The second time I cracked the side of the pad & bent the **** out of the wheel. Now this was in dirtwork not mulching, and with those big nasty 14x17.5 14 ply's on the Big Gehl.
BTW, they do weld up nice. This one got ground out & welded and is on the machine right now.
Hey ironjunkie, Yes, the do make a "track friendly foam". As I said earlier, it has always been my intention to put OTT tracks on my skid. For that reason, when I went looking for foam for my tires, I was looking for a softer foam that would allow some tire flex if something got between the tire and the track. At GCR tire, I found Super-Flex foam by Arnco ( http://flatproofing.com/products/tire-flatproofing/ ) . That is what I had installed in my new tires. I have not experienced other brands or types of tire foam so I don't have any point of comparison. However I will say that I can't tell much difference in the ride between my foam filled tires and the pneumatic tires I had on it before. I hate that you broke a track like that but I am glad to see that the track broke before the axle. My biggest fear about foam filling the tires is breaking one of the axles. I expect that repairing or replacing that track section is much less expensive that replacing an axle and it's housing. I have been using the foam filled tires for a year now. I put about 300 hours on them. So far, I have not needed the tracks. I am holding off ordering them until I have a clear need for them. Several years ago I was installing a new lighting system at the Oklahoma Christian University baseball field. I was using my LX565 on the job and found that it just wouldn't go in the mud around the field (coaches left the sprinkler system on during the weekend and flooded the area behind the outfield fence where the light poles go). I rented a CTL to get that job done and was impressed enough with the ability to float over the mud that I ordered a set of OTT tracks shortly after. They were Mclaren tracks with rubber pads and they worked very well. Unfortunately the 565 used 10X16.5 tires and the tracks would not fit on the new 12X16.5 tires. Tim
I have an LS 190 with the 14x17.5 regular tires and Loegering Trailblazer steel OTT with 2 inch wheel spacers. If you have the horsepower(80+) the larger tires/tracks give you great maneuverability , flotation, and pushing power. Also it would seem that getting things stuck in the tracks and the tracks cleaning themselves out would be much improved with the larger set up. You may have to modify your trailer because the larger tracks are wider and you may not fit between the fenders. I just took railroad ties and secured them to the bed of the trailer thus raising the machine above the fenders and it seems to work well. It is more money but would seem to have a much more capable machine.
decision made, going with the 12" tire. Have an apointment friday to have new galaxy beefy babys put on. Might also have a line on a local source for a set of used tracks for the machine.