Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247b auxiliary hydraulics not working.

jsetzer90 · 2025-12-18 13:46

I bought this machine used about a month ago with 1495hrs on it. Everything works perfectly on it however the auxiliary hydraulics will not function at all. So far I have diagnosed and replaced the pilot control on that side since the thumb wheel was wore out and am now getting the proper signal from that unfortunately that did not cure the problem so I checked continuity on all the wiring going to the Ecm from the switch and then from the Ecm to the solenoids which was all good so I presumed the Ecm had failed which we replaced and still have no function on the auxiliary hydraulics. Also I have tested the solenoids by applying 12v to them directly and they do function. Please if anyone has any insight on this it would be much appreciated. I am stumped at this point.

Replies11
  1. #1Nige2025-12-18 13:58

    Can you post a machine Serial Number please. Need to identify the correct electrical schematic to work with. Measured below the joystick or at the ECM end.? What are you measuring for voltages on the thumbwheel signal wire in the centre, rolled fully one way and rolled fully the other way.? Was the replacement handle you bought genuine OEM.? Did you try powering the AUX solenoids with battery voltage and listen for a click.? Is the ECM genuine OEM Cat or aftermarket.? If it is aftermarket where exactly did it come from.? Some suppliers are pretty good, others not so much.

  2. #2jsetzer902025-12-18 14:20

    Serial number is mtl00925 I measured voltage at both locations and had 2.8v in the center 4.5v forward and .5 reverse with the new control installed and I did replace it with a cat replacement. I did apply 12v to the solenoids and did hear the click. Checked continuity on all wires associated with them back to the Ecm also. The Ecm is from yearnparts but at this point I’m not completely sold that the Ecm was the issue.

  3. #3Nige2025-12-18 15:08

    I'll send you the appropriate electrical schematic for your Serial Number. Next I would suggest to unplug the 70-pin connector at the ECM and connect batt+ and ground to the wires for each of the AUX solenoids in turn to confirm the wiring. That would be Pin 42 (wire L998 OR) for the power and either Pin 40 (wire P978 GN) or Pin 58 (wire P979 YL) for the return/ground. If you are certain that those voltages under the joystick and at the ECM end then that seems to confirm that side of the system is working OK. I should have also mentioned that if the wiring between the joystick & the ECM and between the ECM & the AUX solenoids all checks out good then the only possible conclusion is that both the original and the replacement ECMs are bad. Yearnparts is one of the better aftermarket suppliers but I have come across one case before where a new AUX ECM they supplied was bad right out of the box. Just to confirm we are talkming about the 216-0658 ECM, correct.?

  4. #4Simon C2025-12-19 00:33

    I followed those wires you suggested here and if the solenoids came on, it points to the wiring being okay. Wondered if there could be something faulty that would not trigger a code and would tell the ECM to not send the power. Otherwise the Non-OEM ECM must be faulty as you have said. Just wondered. Simon C

  5. #5Nige2025-12-19 06:54

    The way I was looking at it is that if the necessary voltage signal from the joystick thumbwheel is making it all the way to the AUX ECM and if applying battery voltage to the relevant wires for the AUX solenoids at the ECM output connector makes said solenoids operate then there really is only one component left to point the finger at. Remember that new only means “not yet tested in service”.

  6. #6Simon C2025-12-19 10:06

    Have seen some faulty stuff before. Reminds me of Finning in McMurray, bought a new diode for a fuel solenoid on a 3408 powered Compressor. It was faulty as soon as I took it out of the bag. A driver brought it back and they said out of package no warranty. No problem, leave the next one in the bag. Put test leads through the bag and burn't out without getting out of bag. Sent it back with driver and gave him Fluke 87 to bring with him and ask the parts people to bring smartest mechanic out and test it. All of a sudden it was burn't out. Bring another one out to test in bag with tiny hole in bag only. Burn't also. Pulled all they had off the shelf and tested, all burn't. Next day they had a new batch and had a good one. It happens. Simon C

  7. #7Mark2502025-12-19 16:01

    just a thought the ecm needs to configured for either button or thumb wheel in ET. Nige can check which option from the factory was enabled. it may be as simple as changing the setting in ET config Mark

  8. #8Norman martin2025-12-19 16:14

    Case sv185 doesn't want to start

  9. #9Nige2025-12-19 16:45

    Factory as built config was thumbwheel. Aftermarket ECM supplier should have asked for that information before shipping the ECM. Either that or the machine Serial Number and they could have looked up the info the same way I did.

  10. #10Wedig2025-12-20 01:34

    Send this to Coy Lancaster, he's a case man and a good one. But send him your serial number and a little bit more info on the not starting part.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-12-22 20:52

    Should start a new thread if you have more questions about YOUR machine.