Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Groining Bobcat 863

jp korte · 2025-12-18 16:56

Hey there, New to the forum and New skidsteer owner! I have a 1999 bobcat 863f wheeled machine serial #514426598. Everything seems to work as it should. However one observation that I am concerned with is when I release the parking brake I have to move backwards before I can move forward. If move forward without going backward first there is a fairly loud groaning sound. In addition, once I move back then move forward everything sounds normal until I steer left or right then I get the same groaning sound but not has loud. Sooo what should I be looking at? Is this normal? Thanks for your help in advance

Replies14
  1. #1MG842025-12-18 19:06

    Its been 20 years since I've run one of those but as I recall the hydros do groan pretty loud when turning. For some reason it just seemed like Bobcats of that vintage took more effort to turn than other makes, especially counter rotating. Or maybe it was just in my head due to the way the control linkages work IDK. Not sure on the parking brake, if it works to move backwards first to 'unlock' it, I'd just keep doing that.

  2. #2jp korte2025-12-18 19:50

    Thanks mg84, like I mentioned i am new to skidsteer and not sure what's normal or not. Oh yeah, not going to fix it, if it's not broken. No big deal to back up a little bit. Just don't want to ignore it until it's really broken!

  3. #3Mr. Wrench2025-12-19 06:19

    That is pretty normal with the parking brake. If it has any pressure on it, it won't release until that is relieved. Only thing you could do is make sure the drive levers are adjusted to neutral so that it is not creeping with the parking brake off. That way when the brake is on it is not always putting pressure against it. In many ways that is just the nature of how it is designed.

  4. #4jp korte2025-12-19 09:49

    Mr.Wrench that is probably it! I do have a little creep. On the list to adjust. I am just relieved the groining when it turns left and right is normal. Thanks for your help.

  5. #5HarleyHappy2025-12-19 10:10

    It’s normal to have to jog the machine forwards or backwards a little bit to get the brake pins out of the rotor, to release. They have pressure on them.

  6. #6jp korte2025-12-19 10:13

    Thank you and just to confirm, it is normal to have that groining when turning?

  7. #7BC Placer gold2025-12-19 10:44

    What is your operating rpm; are you running at ~75% throttle or higher? If you are running at low engine rpm, you will tend to get 'groaning' sounds from the hydraulics. At least in the older machines I have ran (Bobcat). Our acreage machine is a 1999 4045 powered John Deere and it prefers to run at higher throttle settings (all functions/turning etc smoother) This said, I rarely run at full throttle as this machine has plenty of power....

  8. #8jp korte2025-12-19 11:24

    HarleyHappy, I have been running low rpm. Low and slow. I'll see what happens running higher rpm. Thanks!

  9. #9BC Placer gold2025-12-19 11:27

    Low rpm on a skid steer is not a good idea! Rev that baby up and see how it runs! Take this as you will, as I have no experience on any of the newer machines.

  10. #10MG842025-12-19 12:54

    Aside from warming up the machine, all work should be done at 2/3 throttle or above. Its hard on the hydrostat system running them at low throttle.

  11. #11HarleyHappy2025-12-19 13:15

    Picture a hydraulic pump, like your heart. How are you moving after getting woken up and you don’t feel like moving. You groan a little? I sure do! Lol Yep fluid like your blood flows through pump, bump up the coffee and you’ll get moving better.

  12. #12jp korte2025-12-19 13:53

    Lol!! Thanks for all advice! I'll rev it up!

  13. #13Welder Dave2025-12-22 20:42

    Skid steers are designed to run full throttle. You get faster response to controls for one thing. The groaning is telling you you're working it too hard and could shorten hydrostat component life. I always run full throttle. It's not a big engine and will have negligible fuel savings running less than full throttle.

  14. #14jp korte2025-12-22 23:10

    Thank you