Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247b flex coupler

Aj3580 ยท 2014-08-07 20:10

Gentleman the boys over on contractor talk sent me here to see if someone on here might have some insight on my issue . Well here it goes I have a cat 247b that has gone through three flex couplers in 20 hrs first one went and thought nothing of it second one went and I thought the mechanic I had do it was a hack now this one just went and now I'm leaning toward a hydraulic pump issue. Not sure how they normally go but each time the hub spun on the hydraulic pump shaft and also spun out on the flex plate. This tells me that the pump has a restriction or the splines on the shaft is are not great (they looked not bad the first two times )

Replies2
  1. #1movindirt2014-08-09 14:35

    How many hours are on the machine itself?

  2. #2Mobiltech2014-08-09 15:24

    Make sure the pump mounting face and mounting plate are true and not worn. If the pump is not mounted in good alignment the coupler will fail quickly. There was a change up service letter on these in 2005 but I would think you are getting the new coupling.