Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247B hard to start.

Twistedmetal ยท 2023-12-01 16:52

From earlier thread Cat 247b S/N MTL01188. Full PM done, everything seems great except it seems hard to start. 10-15 seconds black smoke then, what I will call a chugging start. Once running seems great. Thinking maybe injector, one or more semi clogged. Does that seem logical? If so suggestions on injector cleaner additives greatly appreciated, or are they all shiny snake oil that don't work. side note I have added Stabil anti jell to tank and it has been 50 degrees so don't think glow plugs are part of issue.

Replies1
  1. #1ThreeCW2023-12-02 00:15

    My 2006 242B is a hard starting beast too ... except when I use the glow plugs (at any temperature) and it fires right up. If the engine is warm, I no longer need to use the glow plugs on a re-start. But even at 70 F, I find it starts much easier if the glow plugs are used. If you have not tried it, even at 50 F, apply your glow plugs for 10 seconds and attempt a start. Is it any easier to start? The above "assumes" your glow plugs are actually working. Find attached an example glow plug testing procedure ... your glow plugs may or may not be similar to what is outlined in the procedure.