Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247b sprays oil HELP

Austin Osborn · 2022-08-29 22:44

Hello! I am new to posting a feed on here. So correct me if I need to change anything. My Cat 247b skid steer is a 2005. Last serial number is MTL02597. It has 2,800 hours on it. I just bought this skid steer knowing there was some problems with. With that being said after I got it home I never have encountered anything like it. So here is what’s going on. The guy I bought it off of said that he heard a noise in the engine and that’s why he is selling it. When I can and looked at the skid steer I never heard any noise at all with the engine. So I bought it. When I got it home and started it is shooting oil out of the exhaust. Like 20 feet… not exaggerating. It lost about 1/4 inch on the dip stick the 10 mins I ran it. Just by the oil and crud in the engine compartment. It has been going on a long time. The previous owner said that he changed the turbo. But after doing some research. He didn’t buy a Cat turbo or a remanufactured by Cat. It is a Amazon turbo I think. But I checked with Cat and I can get a turbo for it which is fine. I just want to make sure it is the turbo before spending 1,400 bucks on one. Please give me any information on what I can check to make sure it is the turbo. Thank you so much

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies16
  1. #11466IH2022-08-29 22:55

    Pull the the hose of the turbo that goes to the intake and look for oil in there. You can also remove the flex pipe coming from the turbo to the muffler and see if the turbo shaft moves up/down, side/side, in/out. I am going to guess that the old turbo filled the muffler with oil and you have just now run it long enough to start heating it up and blowing it out.

  2. #2Austin Osborn2022-08-29 22:59

    Yes, I believe you are right. I actually checked the intake and all the other hoses going to the turbo and they are dry with no oil. I took the turbo off the other day and checked the wheel and there is a lot of slop in it. I also check for blow by and there was none. So would you say it is the turbo?

  3. #31466IH2022-08-29 23:09

    Does it look like there is any sort of oil residue in the turbo? If there is a lot of shaft play in that turbo I would bet money that is where your problem is. Can you post pictures?

  4. #4Austin Osborn2022-08-29 23:20

    Here is some pictures. I took a video as well but I can’t seem to figure out how to post it on here. Let me know what you think!

  5. #5Austin Osborn2022-08-29 23:24

    There is a lot of play in the shaft of the turbo. I made a video of it but can’t seem to post it on here.

  6. #61466IH2022-08-29 23:27

    You have to upload to YouTube and then post link here.

  7. #71466IH2022-08-29 23:28

    It looks as though it is sitting crooked in the housing and that does not look like a very new turbo

  8. #8Austin Osborn2022-08-30 00:01

    https://youtube.com/shorts/LpBfLUVm5W0?feature=share

  9. #9Vetech632022-08-30 08:04

    The turbo inlet impeller shouldn't hit the inside of the inlet housing. It looks like its horribly bad from the video. I would think being that bad it would be blowing oil like crazy.

  10. #10Austin Osborn2022-08-30 08:12

    Yes you are correct, it is blowing oil out like crazy. The turbo wheel still spins, and make nose when doing it by hand. Would that make a nose when running? Like a nock? Previous owner said there was a nock and that is why he is selling it.

  11. #11Vetech632022-08-30 13:58

    It will make noise.. usually a whine or screeching sound. The knock may be fuel related pre ignition due to the fact the engine can't build compression efficiently due to the condition of that turbo

  12. #12Austin Osborn2022-08-30 15:04

    Bad news… I installed the new turbo on the machine and as soon as I cranked it over there was a very noticeable nock. I’m not sure what to do at this point. Really lost for words. Here’s a video of the machine. https://youtube.com/shorts/8oPooxRP-Tc?feature=share

  13. #131466IH2022-08-30 15:16

    You have something coming apart internally. I would start by checking eng oil pressure but by the way it looks and sounds you are probably better off to go ahead and pull engine which it a pretty easy job and removing oil pan. Bet you will find some bad bearings and with the smoke a few bad rings as well.

  14. #14Vetech632022-08-30 19:28

    Since your turbo is wiped out and you have a serious knock I’m pretty confident that the engine was run low…..or out of oil at some point before you bought it. I’ll bet you have a rod bearing failure……remove the oil drain plug, let the oil drain into a clean bucket…and look for the silver mine. This is going to be expensive and time consuming

  15. #15Austin Osborn2022-08-30 20:15

    Yes, when I bought it there was no oil in the machine. I believe it is a rod bearing. I am going to be removing the engine shortly. Is there any material or video on a removal of the engine? Or is there any material on how to rebuilt the engine? I have rebuilt a lot of engines but they have all been gas motors. Any information or material would be greatly appreciated! Another thing is I have not been about to find the service manual on this machine. If someone has that material I would greatly appreciate it!

  16. #16Vetech632022-08-30 20:33

    If you have been in a gas engine then you can do this. You will need specs for this engine and there will be more than enough technical help and advise here