My CAT 247b stalls under load. It runs fine on idle and will drive slowly but when it accelerates it stalls or if i use hydraulics it stalls. Checked and replaced fuel pump, changed filters air and fuel,checked hydraulic fluid levels. MTL03587 Anyone have any suggestions?
Have you tried running it off of a 5 gallon can of Diesel strapped to the top of the Radiator hood. If it ran on that then you have a fuel tank or lines issue. Have you taken all the elbows out of the filter housing to check for obstructions. Were the filters dirty when changed, any water in them. A good dose of water can kill a new filter fast. Some things to check. How about running with fuel filler cap off, any difference. Maybe Nige will have a few other things to check. Simon C
I'd suggest removing the tank cap and try running with a rag zip-tied over the filler neck. As per what Simon suggested, remove & disassemble the entire fuel filter head including removing all the screwed fittings. Blow through the passages in the head and make sure every fitting is clear and unobstructed. Blow through the fuel suction line back to the tank while you're at it. Depending on what you find you might consider cleaning out the interior of the fuel tank. This can be done when the fuel level is low. If you do not have an Operation & Maintenance Manual you should consider getting one. They can be downloaded from the Cat Pubs web site for around $50. For your Serial Number you want Publication Reference SEBU7732.
Thank you Simon and Thank you Nige, I will try all of those suggestions. I'll get back to you.
The water makes some sense to me as the problem started when it had been outside for a while with half a tank instead of in a heated garage so there might have been quite a bit of condensation in the tank and the lines and filter housings. I'll get back once I've had a chance to try out the 5 gallon tank and blown the lines out etc. Thanks
Any smoke , I’ve had those injection pumps run good at idle and rev up in the shop - but when you start working them machine it would fall on its face - I’d pull the drain at bottom of tank , check for water - remove all lines and disassemble the filter heads and clean out blow air and brake clean threw all lines - After that I’d start cracking injector lines and see if any change in rpm - After that I’d pull the injection pump and rebuild
Inside or outside makes little difference. It’s the difference between a half tank and a full tank that you should be worried about. The more space for air that there is on top of the fuel the more condensation will form, especially if the machine is run hard then put away wet.
Thank you mobile-tech, once I eliminate the water suggestion I'll work my way down the list. Over here and at 7400ft above sea level we have severe temperature swings so it's not unusual to have a swing from 95F during the daytime to 40F overnight a swing of 55degrees. in the winter it gets down to -20F sometimes hence I keep it in the heated garage. I had stuff in there for a bit hence living outside for a while over the summer. It's usually snowed by now but only the high peaks have snow at the mo.
Even with those temp swings you would get little or no condensation if the tank was filled to the brim at the time the machine was parked.
Filled right to the top every day before the fuel cools at night. If no space like Nige suggested, no water. The county here recently had a loader die with no fuel. Changed the filters and it died within 20 minutes. After almost 2 days of testing found out the new filters were packed with water again. Changed them and all and all was good. Could be a possibility. A remote can might rule that out. Simon C