Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247b track loader snow removal

mrdenial · 2006-11-26 12:03

I have a snow plow for my track loader and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has experience with tracked skid steer snow removal? How is the traction? I was wondering if I need to get some type of traction device attached to the tracks... My guess is that it will work okay until there is ice on the road.

Replies25
  1. #1jmac2006-11-26 13:23

    I think you will put alot of wear on your tracks very fast if you drive it on pavement alot.

  2. #2John Banks2006-11-26 14:09

    I had an ASV MD 2810 - one of the best machines i've used in the snow. I used it with an 8' pusher box and it was amazing. Track wear was fine. Great productivity.

  3. #3DigDug2006-11-26 17:09

    I have plowed with our 257b with 10" power angle plow, it is awesome plowing and little or no wear on the tracks. We plow all hottop parking lots. Summer time is a different story , it sucks on pavement.

  4. #4jmac2006-11-26 17:17

    . So the fact the the pavement has ice and snow on it helps in track wear? I don't have a machine with rubber tracks, mine has over the tire steel tracks but that would open up a lot uses for rubber track skid steer.:yup I bet the amount of snow you can push is huge.

  5. #5tylermckee2006-11-26 17:27

    So the combination of snow/ice/water seems to help keep track wear down?

  6. #6jazak2006-11-26 17:42

    ^^I would like to know the same thing.:yup ^^

  7. #7DigDug2006-11-26 17:48

    YEs, thats what i have found anyways, that the snow, ice , water make very little resistance on tracks and they plow snow awesome and the tracks get zilch for wear. I have been plowing snow commercially for 20+ yrs and have had many different brands of skid steers. From tires to steel tracks to rubber tracks . The rubber track machine , for us anyway is useful for everything we do. The exception is working on hot top , when a tire machine would be better. I havent noticed that working on hot top really wears the tracks any faster than dirt use . BUt the resistance is very noticable and the power it robs from the machine is very noticealbe. It seems to put a exceptional amount of strain on the machine , that you dont get if your using a tire machine. doug

  8. #8DigDug2006-11-26 17:52

    I believe the tire skidsteers get very little tire wear plowing also. That being compared to using the skidsteer in the summer months sweeping etc. on bare hot top . My opinion. doug

  9. #9Coastal2006-12-02 18:23

    Well i just did about 30 hours of pushing snow in 2 days with my T-300, it works pretty good, with fresh snow it will push forever, but when it gets icy the tracks can be a little slippery. Sometimes going down hill if you stop the controls, it keeps sliding sorta deal. I was thinking about getting the tracks grooved with sipes in them, then they would be killer! How much are you guys getting per hour for snow removal??

  10. #10bobcatuser2006-12-02 19:38

    I did 87 hours in the last 5 days, mainly at the airport. I’m charging $165 hr for a skid steer and $175 for a p/u with plow.

  11. #11Coastal2006-12-02 19:45

    Crap am i gettin ripped.......im subcontracted under a subcontractor under a contractor......they would only give me $90. boooooooo Wanna hire me next snowfall?

  12. #12bobcatuser2006-12-03 15:19

    You need to have you’re own contracts to get paid the full rates. I only take on the contracts I can handle with my own equipment. Working as a sub $100 Hr is average (as a sub you should be paid within 30 days no matter what happens, also there is almost no liability). After this last week it should be easy to sign up new contracts. If you only have one machine look for small lots like gas stations and fast food places preferably in the same area. Offer priority plowing and salting service with them added as additional insured on you’re CGL policy. Be sure to state in the contract that services are provided at the service providers discretion not theirs. Stay away from Apartments, Condos or Townhouses there is way too many problems dealing with strata’s and there is huge liability. If you would like to work as a sub (in Richmond only) contact me and we can talk.

  13. #13imjustdave2006-12-03 19:58

    Coastal, how would you feel the machine would do on a gravel road with 2 inches of snow, ice, ETC left on the ground? Im looking at clearing a gravel road with some houses on it and using my rubber tracked machine. I don't have a plow yet, but I, debating buying one for the machine or my 1 ton pickup. the machine would be cheaper and easier for the tight areas, just really want to get the corect setup. Thanks

  14. #14Coastal2006-12-03 20:34

    Well, i just tried doing my gravel driveway today, after packing all the snow into ice all week, it was tough to break through. I just put a new edge on my bucket as well. It ripped ice off of blacktop no problem, but for some reason my driveway wasnt so fun.

  15. #15imjustdave2006-12-03 23:25

    Ok so your using a bucket instead of a plow, are you trying to get all of the snow removed and down to the gravel or are you leaving a few inches and just removing the top layer? In my situation I have to use skid shoes leaving 2 inches and removing the rest. when your using the bucket do you find that you can just push and push and the snow just piles up in front and then flows out, or do you just end up losing traction and have to stop and pile it up? Thanks

  16. #16Coastal2006-12-04 00:47

    Oh in that case you'll be fine, i can push snow across a lot for 300 yards and not slow down. An angle plow would be amazing with my machine. Just trying to get the ice layer is hard sometimes.

  17. #17Coastal2006-12-04 11:03

    Thanks for the info.....i'll see if i can steal some contracts. :bouncegri

  18. #18ship 6602006-12-11 16:45

    From what I have seen the CAT/ASV do great in the snow but the others Takeuchi, BOBCAT,MUSTANG so on dont fair as well. It might be the suspension system that CAT/ASV have that makes the real difference. When it comes to dirt Takeuchi all the way.

  19. #19HeyUvaVT2007-01-26 22:06

    I wish I had some snow here to play with...especially for $100 an hour let alone $165...we get so little snow here that people would prolly keel over dead at that price

  20. #20Rocket2007-03-03 11:06

    We are using a 257B for plowing on a sloped parking lot with little to no storage inside barriers. Works great. I have not seen an increase in track wear. It does ride better than on dry pavement. The only issue is the clean out. There seems to be one area on the inside of the tracks near the sprockets that captures snow and ice but is difficult to reach with a power washer. The same can be said for working in dirt, mud, manure, etc.

  21. #21bigvalley2008-12-20 19:57

    Nail on the head I have a 257B and found exactly that.

  22. #22jimmyjack2008-12-20 23:08

    man i hate that.... cant you people find a newer thread to post in

  23. #23emilbanks2008-12-21 10:14

    Plowing snow I have a Gehl 4640 rubber tire but I put chains on the rear tires.they are working well for me. I have a stretch of windy down hill black top and its icy without the chains I would be sliding all over. Then the couple propertys near me have level ground but shale not black top, you need to take your time but I do it without ripping any thing up. I was out this morning shaving off about 4 inchs of packed ice. Emil:usa

  24. #249420pullpan2008-12-21 11:41

    One of the features about the ASV U/C is the sprocket design will not allow for packing. Compared to the CTL's on the market. Take the Bobcat for instance, that sprocket design will cause packing between sprocket and pins. Bobcats u/c is not rated for extreme cold either. They nylon strands in the ASV can handle the extreme cold.

  25. #25Fordpickupman2010-11-08 14:09

    bucket vs plow So which is the better way to go? Snow bucket or a plow that you can change the angles on? Who makes the best snowbucket? If I was going to build one, how heavy are they usually built? I've seen some that are 3/16" thick and some that are 1/4" thick.