Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247B2 water temp sencor

nickkct ยท 2015-03-05 20:52

My 247 b2 water temp indicator in cab started a slight glow when I start a cold engine and gets brighter as the engine warms up. The water temp at the thermostat housing is always around 180 to 190 no matter how much I load or run it. I replaced sensor and it stil does the same thing. With the key on and the engine off and cold it has a slight glow on the indicator I can unplug the sensor and it goes out. I picket up a third sensor and tested the resistance change of all the sensors in cold to boiling water and all the changed about the same amount so I feel it isn't a sensor problem. Any one know how the wiring runs from the sensor to the temp light does it feed the computer and that feeds the light. Anyone have a wiring diagram or have had this problem Thank You nickct

Replies2
  1. #1caterpillarmech2015-03-06 04:54

    I have see the monitoring circuit board go bad as well. The board gets corrosion on it and starts reporting false signals. May check all of your grounds on the back of the cab. Have seen some funny readings because of a bad ground.

  2. #2nickkct2015-03-06 19:50

    water temp Replaced the monorting board today and also checked grounds no luck. Do the wires from the sensor go straight to the plug for the board. I guess something could be shorted but I would thank the light would stay on even if I unplugged the sensor but it goes out thanks for any help