Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 247b3 AC grinding

chevyguy14 · 2023-06-02 22:17

Hey guys I have a 2013 cat 247b3 that makes a grinding noise when I turn the ac on. If the ac button is off or if it’s blowing heat it doesn’t make the noise so I know it’s ac compressor or pump related. This year model has the hydraulically driven ac compressor so how do I diagnose if it’s the hydraulic pump that’s going bad or the compressor. Any ideas how to test them so I’m not taking a shot in the dark on which one’s going out or does anyone know which one is more prone to failure? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2023-06-02 22:28

    If it was the hydraulic motor driving the AC compressor starting to give up the ghost then there ought to be particles in the hydraulic filter maybe.? Other than that I got nuthin.

  2. #2chevyguy142023-06-02 23:17

    Possibly, I’ll give the filter a peek and see what I find. Thanks

  3. #3heymccall2023-06-02 23:31

    You sure it isn't a bad condenser fan, of which there are two?