Hey guys, I have no manual for my Cat 248B skidsteer and I've wasted a hour now trying to find what grade of Hydraulic oil to use in my skidsteer. This is just farm machine. My question is: What type/grade of Hydraulic oil and looking for a part # for the Hydraulic filter? Thanks! Any help is appreciated!
CAT has a fluid finder page, which specifies their brands and types. Just expand the Hydraulics section, and view the footnotes for alternatives: http://www.catfluidselector.com/us/en_US/equipment/skid_steer_loaders_(off-highway)/248b_EFt8PitsD
For your neck of the woods the perceived wisdom from others in the same area is an 0W/20 hydraulic oil. The hydraulic system filter Part Number is 1G-8878. I take it that you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual. It would probably be the best $50 you ever spent. Can be downloaded in pdf form from Cat or look for Cat Publication reference SEBU7731 on places such as eBay.
Depending on the year of your 248B, you may have Cat HYDO Advanced 10 hydraulic oil in it. If you contact your local Cat parts store, they may be able to tell you based on your serial number. Find attached a brochure on the Cat HYDO Advanced 10. I understand that this product is rated for a temperature range of -20°C to +40°C ... the spec sheet does indicate a Pour Point of -39°C in case you are concerned with colder weather applications. I am currently using this in my 2006 Cat 242B.
Based on what other Canadian members from the same area have posted, 0W/20 is the preferred oil for those ambient conditions. 0W/20 is also included in the recommended lubricant viscosity chart for the OP’s machine. Here's just one example ........... I'll be honest and say that I would have recommended 10W until quite recently. Now having seen input from several Canadian members I have no reason to doubt their recommendation of 0W/20.