Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 252b head lights on doesn’t move

conky ยท 2015-02-06 02:42

Hello, I am running a Cat 252b and when the head lights are on the machine doesn't move and the parking light and lap bar blink erratically. When I turn off the lights the machine will move and function as normal. I've read about checking the ECM for corrosion and the joystick magnet thing when you have a malfunctioning parking light. Should I be following the same diagnostics or is there something else involved with the headlight switches interfering with the ability to drive. Thank you.

Replies6
  1. #1caterpillarmech2015-02-06 05:29

    Sounds like a charging issue. Loosing power when the lights are on. I would start with the alternator and make sure it is putting out 14 volts. Could be a ground problem on the cab as well. There are several grounds under the back side of the cab on one stud. I would check and clean these.

  2. #2Swannny2015-02-06 07:30

    Could be the Cat in the headlights syndrome - similar to the deer in the headlights....they just freeze.

  3. #3conky2015-02-06 12:36

    Thanks, I'll look into this.

  4. #4conky2015-02-06 14:21

    Had to jump-start the machine this morning, 10v on cold battery. So with the engine running, no lights on the alternator is only putting out 12-12.5v, is that indicative of a bad alternator? Also on the main battery ground cable both ends are showing signs of wear; fraying/exposed wires, but no corrosion. I am going to change out the ground cable. Will the ground cable be effecting the charge volts? edit - If it matters I checked the battery again after the machine ran for a few minutes and it read 11.5v with the engine off, does that mean the alternator is working or barely working?

  5. #5crewchief8882015-02-06 14:45

    sounds like it's not charging... :drinkup

  6. #6Grrtt2015-02-14 22:36

    Sounds like it's not charging. A lot of the electronics in newer machines are voltage sensitive, so if your alternator isn't charging, and your battery is 10v, your systems aren't getting correct signals from your controls.