Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Holland, Case or Gehl?

jcg ยท 2015-02-05 14:36

I'm looking to buy my first skid steer and need some advice. I think I have narrowed it down to New Holland lx885 or ls180, Case 70xt or Gehl 5635/6635. Will be working on farm and in timber with many hills/ravines running a brush cutter, moving logs & brush piles, light grading. No really serious "production" work. Have heard good things about New Holland stability but bad things about electrical gremlins that seem to never die. How common are the electrical issues with New Holland machines? Buddy of mine has run Case...good parts and service and seemingly bulletproof cummins 3.9, but how stable are the Case models (i.e. hills and valleys)? Gehl appears to be a solid machine and mostly mechanical which I like, but parts appear to be rather spendy and not sure about the Deutz engines. It will just be an occasional use machine but I need something dependable. Not overly concerned with comfort as I won't be living in it. Good stability is a must. Please let me know what you think.

Replies16
  1. #1Swannny2015-02-05 16:04

    I've owned quite a few ls180's and worked on others...no doubt they do have the electrical issues from time to time. The super booms can twist more easily than radial lift machines (be careful picking up weight on one corner of your bucket), and the 3 cylinder engine tends to vibrate like heck...eats up motor mounts. Still a very capable machine for the weight. Lots of landscapers own them. I hate the lap belt too. The Case and the Gehl's you mention are well built bulls. The gehl's tend to be whiney in the hydraulics...once in a while you'll find a quite one. Deutz is a good, reliable motor. Owned quite a few of the 5635 and 6635 and like them. Easy to work on. The 5635 tends to be light in the nose and can tip on it's fanny (going up a slight incline) when you have the counterweight with no attachment in the front. Both the 70xt and the 56/66 35's are overbuilt and over-powered, capable of high hours with simple maintenance. Nothing wrong with the cummins engine either. Any machine can have a wide stance that enhances stability (utilizing offset rims and spacers), but the LS180 and the 6635 will be more stable than the 60xt and the 5635 due to the longer wheelbase. Not sure I can say Gehl's parts are more expensive than the others. Not looking at the specs right now, but gehl's belly pan is pretty close to the ground (maybe 7"). The other two might have more clearance, but may be a moot point if you find a low hour machine for a reasonable cost. You'll probably want over the tire steel tracks in the woods too. Over and out for now.

  2. #2KSSS2015-02-05 17:29

    The NH I think with it's longer wheel base will feel more stable. The 70XT is an animal. Big power smaller package. The only thing that I never liked was the lack of two speed. Other than that it is hard to beat. You will never lack for power. I don't have any experience with Gehl.

  3. #3jcg2015-02-06 09:03

    Thanks so much for the advice guys. I think I'll check out the specs a little closer...wheel base. Swannny, is 6000 hrs an awful lot for a Gehl 6635 with the Deutz? -I know.....it all depends....but assuming basic routine maintenance and replacement of the timing belt. I was looking at a unit that had drive motor and hydro pump work done on it recently, but I hate to get a machine that will be in need of major overhaul soon. 6000 hrs just seems like an awful lot to me. Also, it seems like there are a lot of NH in my area, any advantages between lx 865, 885, 985 and the newer model ls 180? Will I experience the same electrical issues with the LX models that I have heard about with the LS?

  4. #4tmc_312015-02-06 12:02

    I have owned and operated a LX565, LS170 and currently a L190. The LX565 was a good machine except for ongoing troubles with the seat switch and seat belt switch. The LS170 didn't have any electrical problems but seemed a little underpowered in the lift department. I have owned the L190 now for about 3 years. It has 1600 hrs on it. And it is a beast. I really like it. Tim

  5. #5jcg2015-02-06 12:48

    Thanks tmc31. Looking at an lx 985 right now. They don't seem to be as common as the LS 180/190 but appear to be strong units (I guess). I'm hoping that if I go that route I can address the seat and seat belt switch issues that seem to be so common. Have heard of guys wiring toggle switches in to fix issues. Have you had good luck with hydro pumps and drive motors? From what I gather, the engine is a 3 cyl used in ford/new Holland tractors for many years with good results? Thanks for any input.

  6. #6tmc_312015-02-06 17:20

    I think the engine on my LX565 and LS170 were three cyl diesels with the LS170 being turbocharged. The engine in my L190 is a 4 cylinder and normally aspirated. It is an early 2007 version. The later versions (after 2007-1/2) were 90 hp engines that were turbocharged. I don't know if the later versions of the L190 had 3 or 4 cylinder engines. I have had no trouble with the hydraulics (pumps or motors) on any of the machines. As I said the only aggravating problem I had was with the safety switches on the LX565. Good luck in your search, Tim

  7. #7Swannny2015-02-06 17:35

    The LX and the LS NH machines were good/reliable machines. What's your budget? I'd personally steer away from higher hours like that 6635 you've mentioned. $10 to 14k can get you a pretty good older, relatively low hour, open cab, mid sized machine - Gehl 4840, 5635/40 NH lx565, 665, ls170, bobcat 773, case 60/70xt. 14 to 18k can get you into a large frame, low hr., open cab machine pretty easily. PM me if you want

  8. #83X82015-02-06 18:18

    The LX565 is a 4 cylinder, at least mine is

  9. #9tmc_312015-02-06 19:59

    I will defer to you oh 3X8. Just checked RitcheSpecs and the LS170 was also a 4 banger. Just a warning guys, that what getting old will do to you!! Tim

  10. #10old-iron-habit2015-02-06 20:59

    My LX565 is a 4 cylinder with a turbo. New Holland engine in says in the book.

  11. #113X82015-02-06 22:42

    I can second that, most of the time I have to stop and figure out what day it is. lol

  12. #12wrwtexan2015-02-06 23:24

    I have a LS180 which has been very reliable except for the emissionized Lucas Delphi injection pump on it which I replace at some effort with the earlier CAV pump. Best I can tell, the older LX models are practically identical, other than paint ,to the LS models as far as frame, loader, and hydraulics. I have used mine hard in tree shear land clearing and farm repair shop duties and haven't had any problems with boom twist and I often max out the lift capability. I chose it over other brands for parts availability as the three cylinder engine has been used in the 3000 and 4000 series tractors for years and my local ag tractor dealer can get anything I need. Weight to lift ratio is also the highest of any brand of the time. I have had electrical problems but nothing too serious. I bypassed the seatbelt switch by cutting the belt sensor wire and installing a flip switch by my left knee to fool the computer (must do to release hydraulic lockout).

  13. #13andoman2015-02-07 08:13

    I own two bobcat S850's and two Gehl 7810's. The Bobcats are too new for me to give a good review on reliability yet, but to date they've preformed well and the guys like them. The gehls are solid machines but they always tend to develop electrical gremlins between 4000 and 5000 hours with safety switches and sensors, so we tend to get rid of them around the 4000 hour mark. We have very few problems with the gehls other than that, they are strong machines, we are on our 6th pair. We've had mustangs and case machines in the past but since trying a machine with the higher vertical reach I'd never go back to something smaller, the production gains are too large to pass up if you need to load dump trucks or gravel trains.

  14. #14jcg2015-02-09 09:33

    Thanks for all of your advice guys. Seems like my budget might be an issue...big surprise! Really didn't want to spend more than $12,000 on the machine as I will be needing $ for brush mower and forks...(not a lot of dirt work to do with it). -Wanted to go with a larger frame unit and long wheel base for stability, lifting logs and running mower. Looks like precious few large units in my price range that don't have a ton of hours on them. I guess I will keep searching....maybe take my chances at an equipment auction...

  15. #15melben2015-02-09 19:55

    I would rethink buying at an auction, often there is a reason they are there. Some will be there from dealers who know whats wrong and don't want the cost of repair.

  16. #16jcg2015-02-10 09:04

    Good point. Thanks for the advice melben.