Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 252b3 squealing

Jimww ยท 2013-12-07 09:31

Just bought a 252b3 with 80hrs. It is squealing bad when driving it. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Replies31
  1. #1DGODGR2013-12-07 09:38

    I bit more information would be helpful. You say it's "squealing when driving". Does the squealing seem to change with engine speed, wheel speed, or is it the same regardless of changes in either?

  2. #2Jimww2013-12-07 09:54

    The faster I go the louder it gets. Doesn't do it when sitting

  3. #3Nige2013-12-07 10:09

    All fluid levels (inc the chaincases) are correct I take it..? Are you using the hydraulics when driving? If not that rules that out. Can you get it up on blocks and run it with the wheels off the ground..? You may need an assistant to walk round the machine to identify where the noise is coming from. Try doing that with and without the engine compartment door open and see if it makes any difference.

  4. #4Jimww2013-12-07 10:25

    I'm going to check it out better today.

  5. #5Oxbow2013-12-07 10:46

    Alternator belt?

  6. #6Nige2013-12-07 11:02

    Good point. One assumes that the basics have been checked but often to assume makes an ASS out of U and ME ................

  7. #7Oxbow2013-12-07 11:11

    The only reason that I mention the obvious is that we have a 287C that slips the belt a bit when first started. We have tightened it, but for some reason it still slips. As soon as it quits squealing, usually about 30 seconds or less, we can turn on lights and heater etc. and it never does it again that day. It has done this almost since it was new. When we get it into the shop this winter I think we will change belts and look at the alternator pulley. On that note, has anybody had luck using belt dressing?

  8. #8Jimww2013-12-07 11:20

    I just got it home late last night when I noticed it so didnt really look at anything yet so hopefully it's something simple like that. With only 80 hrs I hope it's not anything major

  9. #9Oxbow2013-12-07 11:27

    At least it will be warrantied if it is! Good luck with it.

  10. #10Jimww2013-12-07 11:30

    No warranty left on it

  11. #11Oxbow2013-12-07 11:42

    Dang it.

  12. #12Nige2013-12-07 12:30

    Just remember to go through all the basics first and if you still don't find it then when you come back and post again please include a list of everything you ticked off that was found not to be the problem.

  13. #13Delmer2013-12-07 13:31

    Only if you have a flat leather belt on a wood pulley. No belt makers tell you to use the stuff.

  14. #14Oxbow2013-12-07 13:46

    Thanks Delmer!

  15. #15Jimww2013-12-07 17:56

    The squeal is coming from under the cab and only when I'm moving

  16. #16Oxbow2013-12-07 18:00

    Could it be as simple as a rock caught between the hub and frame?

  17. #17Jimww2013-12-07 23:46

    Has soon as I start it whines for 5 seconds then stops until I start to drive then start whining again. Coming from under cab could it have something to do with hydraulic pumps??

  18. #18Nige2013-12-08 07:40

    That does sound a bit like it. Is the hydraulic oil level correct..?

  19. #19Jimww2013-12-08 08:40

    Yes

  20. #20Nige2013-12-08 08:49

    Sorry to ask but you never mentioned the level. Symptoms indicate possibly sucking air in the pump inlet. There is a large diameter hose from the base of the hydraulic tank to the pump (marked 12 in the diagram) secured by a hose clamp at each end. Are the clamps tight..? You will most likely need the cab up to gain access to this hose.

  21. #21Jimww2013-12-08 09:15

    Can the machine be started with the cab up?

  22. #22caterpillarmech2013-12-08 09:17

    You can start it normally and then raise the cab.

  23. #23Nige2013-12-08 10:23

    Please be VERY careful if running the machine with the cab up. I got word of a fatal accident on a skid steer only this week where a mechanic who was testing a machine with the engine running and the cab up caught his coveralls on a control lever and the hydraulic movement crushed him.

  24. #24ol' Grump2013-12-10 10:04

    Belt dressing seems to help a bit on old belts. .for a while.

  25. #25Oxbow2013-12-10 10:20

    Thanks.

  26. #26Nige2013-12-10 10:26

    I'm sure the subject of belt tension/condition was brought up before but I don't think the OP ever replied to say if it had been checked or not.

  27. #27Jimww2013-12-10 13:31

    I start up the machine it squeals until hydraulic pressure builds up then it stop until I start to drive it and only when driving not when using arms and bucket. Is this normal ??

  28. #28Nige2013-12-10 14:14

    Hydraulic pressure should be up within 1-2 seconds of starting the engine. Is this how long the noise lasts for when you first start up..? If the noise was related to the hydraulic system I would expect it to make the noise both travelling and also when using the bucket functions.

  29. #29Jimww2013-12-10 14:53

    No noise when using bucket

  30. #30Jimww2013-12-10 14:56

    Only makes noise 2 to 3 second when you start it and when you start to drive then stops when you stop

  31. #31Jimww2013-12-10 16:34

    Does any know anything about theses machines two they have to separate pumps to the bucket and to the drive ??