Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 257 Final Drive leak

vement ยท 2024-03-25 17:25

Hello , I am new to this forum. I have a 2005 Cat 257. CMM02114. Been a great machine but noticed fluid leak from the final drive. This is coming from front of final drive where sprockets mount. I can't seem to find a seal kit. I can find complete replacement drives but thought it might just be outer seal. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank You

Replies9
  1. #1Nige2024-03-25 17:57

    Can you post a photo showing where the leak is coming from.?

  2. #2vement2024-03-25 18:12
  3. #392U 34062024-03-25 20:11

    Duo cone seal's gone. What's the oil level in the final drive? A blown motor seal will fill the final drive up and then blow out the duo cone seal.

  4. #4Nige2024-03-25 20:15

    Well you have a problem. The Duo-Cone seal assembly (circled) is not listed under a separate Part Number. Neither is it included in the seal kit listed for the motor. However as my learned friend above points out, it may be a problem inside the motor and the leaking Duo-Cone is actually a symptom rather than being a root cause.

  5. #592U 34062024-03-25 20:18

    That's what I was afraid of. I've run into that issue a couple times, Cat wants you to buy a new/reman assembly IIRC. Might have to give the aftermarket a shot and see if that seal is available elsewhere.

  6. #6Nige2024-03-25 20:21

    It's also worth pointing out that this is a 20+ year-old machine and when this product line was first introduced a lot of the components (e.g. pumps, drive motors, etc) were obviously not designed to be repairable in the field.

  7. #7vement2024-03-26 08:09

    Thank you both for your information. It is an old machine. I will search some aftermarket companies and see what I can find. If not I assume I need to buy a new final drive for that side. Thanks again super helpful.

  8. #8Nige2024-03-26 11:51

    A few Part Numbers for you to use in your search. Your motor is probably an original 222-5662. There is an updated P/N 280-7862 or a Reman 10R3338. All three will fit.

  9. #9vement2024-03-26 13:42

    Thank You Again!